This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Change up spaghetti night with this easy Spaghetti Pie stuffed with layers of cheese and meat sauce. It’s a great way to sneak in those extra veggies, too!
Spaghetti Pie may not be the prettiest meal, but it is cheap, tasty and full of good-for-you vegetables. It only takes 6 ounces of spaghetti and 1/2 pound of ground beef or turkey, so it’s a great way to stretch your groceries without feeling deprived.
I found this recipe years ago in an old Taste of Home “Quick Cooking” magazine. It was in a collection of ideas for using ground beef. I’m always looking for new ideas for a delicious comfort dinner (similar to this yummy meatloaf recipe!) We gave it a try and the family awarded this easy Spaghetti Pie “two thumbs up!”
Ingredients needed for Baked Spaghetti Pie
These are the simple ingredients you need for this easy spaghetti pie recipe. You probably have all of these things in your pantry and refrigerator right now!
- spaghetti noodles-uncooked/dry
- Parmesan cheese-use freshly grated Parmesan for the best flavor
- cottage cheese-you can also use ricotta, but we prefer the mild flavor of cottage cheese
- ground beef or turkey-we use 80/20 ground beef
- diced tomatoes-either canned or fresh
- tomato paste-not tomato sauce
- garlic cloves-or use jarred diced garlic
- green peppers-diced
- salt and pepper
- mozzarella cheese
Steps for making Spaghetti Pie Casserole:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9″ pie dish (deep dish works best) with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package directions for al dente noodles and drain.
In a large bowl, mix the egg, butter and Parmesan cheese. Then toss the cooked noodles with the egg mixture until well coated.
Push the noodle mixture into the bottom of the pie plate and press up the sides to create a “crust.” Top with the cottage cheese layer and then set aside.
In a skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat with the green pepper and onion mixed in. Drain the fat and then add the garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
Add the meat mixture to the top of pie and baked uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, top with mozzarella and bake for another 5 minutes.
Let the pie stand for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
The best thing about this baked spaghetti pie is that you can easily change things up to suit your family’s tastes. Get creative with your layers to make this a family favorite.
- Other meat: try using ground turkey, pork or chicken for different flavor
- More meat: alternatively, add some Italian sausage to the ground meat for more flavor
- Add veggies: feel free to add other vegetables like chopped red or yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, olives or green onions
- Cheese layer: add a ricotta layer or sour cream between the crust and the meat
- Sauce: pour a bit of your favorite pasta sauce into the tomato mixture for a saucier dish
- Seasoning: add extra flavor with garlic powder, dried basil, parsley or Italian seasoning
We always have spaghetti with garlic bread and a Caesar salad, so serving those with Spaghetti Pie is probably a good bet. 🙂 But if you want to change things up a bit, try one of these side dishes or desserts:
- Homemade Garlic Knots
- Chicken Anitpasto Salad
- Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread
- Banana Pudding Bars
- Orange Creamsicle Pie
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you put eggs in baked spaghetti?
Most baked pasta recipes called for eggs to keep the ingredients together. In this baked spaghetti pie recipe, that is exactly what it is for. The egg and cheese bind all the ingredients so it will stick together and form the “pie crust” for the meat mixture.
Do I have to boil the pasta noodles before baking?
Yes, this recipes calls for standard dry spaghetti noodles, and there’s not enough water or other liquids in the recipe for the noodles to hydrate and cook while it bakes. If you are feeling adventurous, you could always try no-bake lasagna noodles instead.
Can you freeze spaghetti pie?
Yes! To freeze ahead, use a foil or aluminum pie tin (not glass.) Assemble the pie as directed, but do not cook. Cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to 30 days.
To cook, do not thaw first. Place the covered frozen pie in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil cover and continue baking until warmed through. Add the cheese just for the last 5 minutes.
How do I store the leftovers?
Leftover spaghetti pie can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to four days. To reheat, bake in the oven in a disposable foil pan for five minutes. Add extra spaghetti sauce if it seems dry. You can also put it in a medium bowl and reheat in the microwave.
- 6 oz dry spaghetti
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 6 oz (1 can) tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz dry spaghettiPreheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9" pie plate (deep dish is best) with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- 1 egg, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, 1 Tbsp butterIn a small bowl, combine the egg, Parmesan and melted butter. When the spaghetti is done cooking, drain and then toss with the egg mixture.
- 1 cup cottage cheeseAdd the spaghetti mixture to the pie plate and press up the sides a bit to form a "crust" for the spaghetti pie. Spread the cottage cheese in a thin layer across the crust. Set aside.
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced green pepper, 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, 6 oz (1 can) tomato paste, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepperIn a large skillet, brown the ground meat with the onion and green pepper. Drain the fat. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and salt and pepper. Stir together and cook just until well combined (1-2 minutes.)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheeseSpread the meat mixture over the top of the pie and bake, uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.