Homemade dough, familiar pizza flavors and a delicious garlic butter sauce come together to make Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread. Change up pizza night this week with a new favorite!
There’s something so fun about pull apart bread recipes like this! Maybe it’s the fact that you can dip it in a yummy sauce, or just that every bite packs that pizza flavor we all love. Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread is especially good, because it starts with homemade bread dough! YUM.
While I highly suggest you try this recipe as written at least once, I do know that making your own dough does add a lot of time and effort to a recipe. But seriously, it’s so worth it. However, if you want to skip a lot of steps and still get a yummy result, I would suggest using Rhodes Rolls dinner rolls for the dough.
My recipe for Rhodes Rolls Monkey Bread is SUPER popular for good reason. It’s easy and delicious. So I know it would be a great alternative to making your own dough for this recipe. But for those brave enough to enter the homemade bread world, here’s how to make the best Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread.
Start by gathering your ingredients. Most of what you need is for making the dough. Then there are the pizza toppings (don’t you love the little mozzarella pearls?) and your favorite sauce. Oh, and the amazing garlic butter sauce that gets poured all over is the best!
The first steps will be to make the dough. Start by heating the milk and butter for making an enriched dough. Then proof the yeast in a separate bowl while the milk cools. Be sure not to add the yeast to the milk mixture until it’s cooled, or you’ll kill the yeast.
Then, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, add the milk and yeast mixture and slowly incorporate the flour. If you have a stand mixer, this is the time to use it and the dough hook. If not, it’s time to pull out those muscles and get to work! 🙂
Once you’ve got a nice looking dough, place it in a greased bowl and let it rise to double the size.
Now it’s time to make the buttery garlic sauce and start forming dough balls to dip in the sauce.
Roll the dough in the garlic butter, place it in the pan and then layer in the toppings. Repeat until everything is used up. Save any remaining garlic butter to pour over the top after the second rise. Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes and then it’s time to bake!
The Bundt pan will be full all the way to the top after the second rise and baking. Let it cool for 5 minutes and then flip it over onto a serving tray. There’s a perfect spot for a bowl of marinara dipping sauce right in the center. Get dipping and enjoy this delicious Pizza Monkey Bread!
Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup salted butter divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pkt fast rise yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 ½ cups bread flour or substitute all purpose flour (see notes)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella pearls
- ½ cup mini pepperoni
- ½ cup sausage crumbles
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- Add milk to a saucepan over medium high heat and bring it to a low boil. Lower heat and melt ½ cup of butter, then turn off the heat and stir in garlic powder. Cool in a bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes
- While the milk cools, in a large bowl add yeast to warm water with sugar. Let proof for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs- add the milk and the yeast mixture. Slowly incorporate the flour and mix well to combine. It is easier to mix using a dough hook on a stand mixer, however this can be done with a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.
- Add dough to a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour
- Melt remaining ½ cup of butter. Add minced garlic, garlic salt, and basil and stir to combine.
- Remove dough from the bowl and put on a floured surface. Form the dough into 1” balls then, dip into the garlic butter and add to a bundt pan. Between each layer of dough balls, add mozzarella pearls, parmesan, pepperoni, and sausage. Repeat until all dough balls and pizza toppings are used. Cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- Pour remaining melted butter into the Bundt pan over the bubble bread. Place into the oven on the center rack and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then flip upside down out of the bundt pan and onto a serving platter. Place a ramekin of marinara sauce in the center for dipping and enjoy!
- For a quicker version, use Rhodes Rolls frozen dinner rolls. Allow to almost thaw and then cut in half. Follow the remaining steps in the recipe as written.
- You can substitute all-purpose flour for bread flour, however the dough may be a bit more wet and sticky to the touch. Simply add more flour, a tbsp at a time, to get the right consistency of dough.
- Use shredded mozzarella instead of pearls, if desired, but shred it yourself from the block to get the best results.
- Swap out the sausage and pepperoni for your favorite pizza toppings!