This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Made with homemade yeast dough (or frozen dinner roll dough as a shortcut), Apple Pie Monkey Bread is layered with apple pie filling and held together with a delicious buttery syrup.
Monkey bread is a family favorite. We often have some variety of this “dessert for breakfast” treat on holiday mornings. And I will fight anyone who thinks that using a tube of biscuit dough is the same thing.
No. Just no. Trust me-try this Apple Pie Monkey Bread just once and you’ll never go back to dry biscuit dough. Although using Rhodes Rolls-the frozen yeast dinner rolls-is an acceptable trade off in my book.
The addition of apple pie filling and cinnamon sugar makes this a perfect fall dessert. Or breakfast. Whatever-I don’t judge when it comes to sweets.
Instructions for making dough for monkey bread
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt, and stir to combine. Warm the milk and butter to about 115º degrees, just until butter melts. If it gets too hot, you’ll kill the yeast, so be careful.
Attach the dough hook to the mixer, then add the butter and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Adjust the mixer to speed 2 and mix/knead for 7 minutes.
The dough should come away from the sides of the bowl as it kneads. When the dough is done kneading, you should be able to handle it without it sticking to your hands. If dough is overly sticky, add a small amount of flour to reach the desired consistency.
When dough is done kneading, shape into a ball, cover, and let rise until doubled in size. This should take about 2 hours, depending on how warm your house is.
Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and roll into small balls about ¾-1 inches in diameter. It’s not important for them to be perfect balls, or perfectly sized.
Need a shortcut? Eliminate this first step by using frozen dinner rolls (I like Rhodes Rolls) cut into 4ths.
If you opt to make Apple Pie Monkey Bread using Rhodes Rolls, simply allow them to thaw enough to slice easily. Then proceed with the following steps as written.
How to make Apple Pie Monkey Bread
After preparing the dough balls, make the sauce that’s going to hold it all together (and taste great while it’s doing that.) 🙂
In a small saucepan, melt 6 Tablespoons of butter, and stir in the brown sugar. Pour into the bottom of a greased 10″ Bundt pan.
Roll the dough balls in a cinnamon sugar mixture and then place in a layer in the Bundt pan. Spoon half of the apple pie filling on top.
It’s easy to make your own homemade apple pie filling (especially with a pressure cooker.) Try thisCrockpot Express Apple Pie Filling.
Continue filling the Bundt pan with layers of bread and apple pie filling, topping it off with any remaining apples and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar. Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and then cool for 5 minutes. Use an icing spatula or something similar to make sure the monkey bread is loosened from the sides of your pan.
Turn the pan over onto a large plate or serving dish, and let monkey bread fall onto it. Use a rubber spatula to scrape out any extra caramel sauce if needed.
Allow to cool and drizzle with glaze if desired before serving.
Other delicious Monkey Bread recipes:
Rhodes Rholls Monkey Bread– this is a traditional monkey bread recipe but uses frozen dinner rolls instead of biscuit dough.
Garlic Butter Pizza Monkey Bread– made with homemade dough that’s dunked in garlic butter, this bread is a delicious twist on pizza night!
Cream Cheese Stuffed Monkey Bread-start with dough balls like regular monkey bread, but stuff each piece with a bit of cream cheese for a sweet surprise.
Apple Pie Monkey Bread
For the bread dough:
- 4 cups flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 24oz. can of apple pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
To make the dough:
- 4 cups flour, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons dry yeast, ¼ teaspoon saltIn the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt, and stir to combine
- Fit stand mixer with dough hook/spiral
- 1 ⅓ cups milk, 6 Tablespoons butterWarm milk and butter to about 115º degrees, just until butter melts. Add to flour mixture.
- Turn mixer to 2 and mix until combined. Continue mixing to knead dough for 7 minutes.
- The dough should come away from the sides of the bowl as it kneads. When the dough is done kneading, you should be able to handle it without it sticking to your hands. If dough is overly sticky, add a small amount of flour to reach the desired consistency
- When dough is done kneading, remove bowl from mixing and dough hook, shape into a ball, cover, and let rise until doubled in size. This should take about 2 hours.
For the filling:
- 6 Tablespoons butter, 1 cup brown sugarIn a small saucepan, melt 6 Tablespoons of butter, and stir in brown sugar
- Pour into the bottom of a greased bundt pan
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon cinnamonCombine cinnamon and white sugar in a small bowl
- Punch dough down, and roll into small balls about ¾-1 inches in diameter. It’s not important for them to be perfect balls, or perfectly sized
- Roll half the balls into the cinnamon sugar mixture, and put in the bundt pan
- 1 24oz. can of apple pie fillingSpoon half the pie filling on top.
- Repeat with remaining half of dough, and pie filling
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar if desired
- Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes; While it's rising, preheat oven to 325º
- Bake monkey bread in center of oven for 35 minutes, until golden brown on top, and done through. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes
- Use an icing spatula or something similar to make sure the monkey bread is loosened from the sides of your pan. Turn pan over onto a large plate or serving dish, and let monkey bread fall onto it.
- 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1-2 Tablespoons milkWhile monkey bread cools, combine icing ingredients until smooth and drizzle over bread before serving
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes - March 21, 2023
- Lemon Bundt Cake with Berries and Cream - March 3, 2023
- Crockpot Express Glazed Carrots - February 24, 2023
Leave a Reply