This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Save stovetop space, time and your sanity before a big meal by making these Crockpot Loaded Mashed Potatoes. It’s a perfect make ahead recipe for busy holiday meals!
For every holiday and family gathering, we make this Crockpot Mashed Potatoes recipe. One of us will make the mashed potatoes the day before, and then the slow cooker just sits on the counter and happily reheats them as we bustle around the kitchen with other preparations.
The key to these Crockpot make ahead mashed potatoes is the sour cream and cream cheese. It keeps the potatoes so creamy and delicious.
Once you add the bacon and cheese, you’ve definitely made the best loaded mashed potatoes EVER. They remind me of Twice Baked Potatoes.
Ingredients needed for slow cooker loaded potatoes:
- potatoes-I like traditional Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes
- sour cream
- cream cheese-it might sound strange, but it’s the key to these creamy potatoes
- bacon-cooked and crumbled into pieces
- cheese-a sharp cheddar or creamy cheddar jack is perfect for these
Step 1-cook the potatoes
Because we primarily use this as a “make the day before” side dish, this recipe doesn’t actually cook the potatoes in crock pot. It starts with potatoes cooked traditionally on the stove and then the flavors all meld together in the slow cooker.
However, if you want to cut way down on the prep time, you can follow the first part of this Crockpot Express Mashed Potato recipe and use a pressure cooker to make the potatoes in minutes!
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, simply boil the potatoes on the stove until fork tender and then drain.
Step 2-add the sour cream and cream cheese
In a mixing bowl, whip together the sour cream and softened cream cheese. Then add the hot potatoes to the cream mixture. Beat them until smooth, but don’t overmix them or the potatoes will get sticky and gluey.
Step 3-add the bacon, cheese and butter
After mixing the potatoes with the cream mixture, stir in the cheese (reserving some for the top later) and butter and bacon.
Step 4-add to slow cooker and either heat or refrigerate
If you are cooking on the same day as you are serving, then add the potato mixture to the crockpot, top with the additional cheese and heat on low for about 20 minutes.
If you are making crockpot mashed potatoes the day before, then place the potato mixture in the inner crock of the slow cooker and then cover and refrigerate. Do not add the top layer of cheese or onions at this time.
To reheat, turn on Low and heat for 2-3 hours. You may want to add some additional butter or milk if the potatoes seem a bit dried out. 20 minutes before serving, add the top layer of cheese and heat until melted.
More great side dishes like loaded mashed potatoes:
If you’re big family meal is in the spring, try this delicious Creamy Orzo and Asparagus or get some more vegetables on the table with these Baked Carrot Fries.
Use a pressure cooker to make the easiest Crockpot Express Candied Yams for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
If you can’t figure out what sounds good, try perusing this list of over 50 Side Dish Recipes to see if something stands out to you!
Crockpot Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lbs potatoes peeled and cut into large/equal chunks (we like Russets or Yukon Golds)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 5 lbs potatoesBoil the potatoes until fork tender; drain.
- 1 cup sour cream, 8 ounces cream cheeseBeat together the sour cream and cream cheese. Add the hot potatoes and beat until smooth (don’t overbeat them, or they get gluey)
- ½ cup butter, 1 cup chopped cooked bacon, 1 ½ cups shredded cheeseStir in butter, bacon, 1 cup of cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- ½ cup green onionsPlace in greased 5-6qt crockpot. Top with last ½ cup of cheese. Cook on low for 20 minutes. Top with green onions and serve.
- Crockpot Express Apricot Chicken - May 15, 2023
- Sweet and Spicy Carrots - May 4, 2023
- Biscoff Cake Recipe - May 2, 2023
Leave a Reply