This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Twice Baked Potatoes are a perfect appetizer or snack for game day parties! They are creamy, cheesy and covered in bacon-the perfect bite.
Normally, the Super Bowl comes and goes and I don’t give it much thought. We’ll watch it and even look for funny commercials, but it’s just another football game. However, this year, our favorite team is playing! Go Niners! Now it’s not just another football game, it’s a chance for a party and game day food like Twice Baked Potatoes.
Super Bowl parties are always a bit tricky for us. We go to church on Sundays, which means we can start the game, but when it’s time for the evening service we hit the pause button and try to avoid spoilers for the next couple hours.
The other option is to record the game and just not start watching until we get home. Either way, there WILL be snacks. 😉 7 years ago I made Ferrero Rocher Brownie Bites when the Niners were in the Super Bowl. They are decadent and delicious. I might need to make them again.
Here’s what’s on the menu for the big game this year!
Twice baked potatoes start with all the same ingredients you would normally have on hand for loaded baked potatoes. Use large russet potatoes so they hold their shape and stand up to the double baking.
Start by rubbing the potatoes with oil and then baking them on a sheet in the oven for an hour. You can also shorten this process by using a pressure cooker instead of the oven, but I like the crispier skin you get with baking the whole time.
Scoop out the insides and mash with butter and milk, adding salt and pepper and seasonings to taste.
Stir in all the delicious “fixings.”
Spoon the mixture back back into the shells, dividing it as evenly as possible. Top with cheese.
Return to the oven to bake (hence the name “twice baked potatoes.”) 🙂
Remove from the oven and garnish with bacon and green onions before serving.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash the potatoes and poke them 4 or 5 times with a fork.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a large bowl.
- Add the milk and butter to the bowl and mash together with the cooked potato until smooth.
- Add the sour cream, half of the cheese, garlic powder, paprika and salt and pepper to the mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spoon an equal amount of the mixture back into each potato shell and top with remaining cheese.
- Return the potatoes to the oven until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with bacon and green onion. Serve warm.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!