Orange Creamsicle Pie tastes just like the frozen treat we grew up loving, but in delicious pie form!
We live in southern California, so the ice cream man drives around the neighborhood pretty much all year. But for some reason, I never let my kids buy anything until summer vacation rolls around. Running outside with a dollar bill clutched in their hands and yelling for the ice cream man to stop is a rite of passage for kids. And (in my opinion) the tastiest thing that the ice cream man sells is the Orange Creamsicle. But, I feel a little silly chasing down the ice cream man, so I made this Orange Creamsicle Pie instead. It’s much more dignified. 😉
This is one of those “church cookbook” recipes that’s been around for ages. It’s so easy to make and you can serve it refrigerated or frozen. It’s perfect for summer parties or potlucks. We spent Father’s Day weekend with my husband’s family and since I knew it would be busy, I made a couple pies a few days in advance and froze them. The Orange Creamsicle Pie is a perfect summer treat!
Orange Creamsicle Pie
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 1 box (3.4 oz) orange Jell-o
- 2/3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup ice and water
- 2 tsp orange extract OR 2 drops orange oil-optional , but it kicks up the orange flavor nicely
- 8 oz tub Cool Whip , divided
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- In a bowl, mix the gelatin powder and boiling water, until the powder is dissolved.
- Fill up a 1 cup measuring cup with about 1/2 cup of ice and then fill the cup up to the 1 cup mark with water. Add to the hot water/jello mix and stir until the ice has melted.
- Mix in the orange extract or oil
- Fold in 2/3 of the Cool Whip into the Jello mixture and mix gently until smooth.
- Pour into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or freeze if you want to serve a frozen pie.
- When ready to serve, cover with the remaining Cool Whip and garnish with mandarin oranges.
- Serve either refrigerated or frozen.
I altered this recipe just a tiny bit to create a delicious Strawberry Creamsicle Pie! Try them both and let me know which one is your favorite!
This post originally appeared on Princess Pinky Girl
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Crockpot Express Cranberry Sauce - October 14, 2019
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019