This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Independence Day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with a deliciously patriotic treat? Try this 4th of July Cookie Cake – a giant, round cookie baked to perfection on a pizza pan!
Get ready to impress your guests with this delightful red, white, and blue summer dessert. Or just keep it all to yourself! I won’t tell. 😉
Ingredients needed for making a 4th of July Cookie Cake:
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- chocolate chips
- red, white and blue plain chocolate candies (I used M&M’s)
- red, white and blue sprinkles (optional)
- vanilla frosting (optional)
I used the same recipe that I have always used for my Perfect Giant Cookie and just added some extra goodies to make it a Patriotic Cookie Cake. I’ve also made a Halloween Giant Cookie Cake with fun toppings.
Steps for making a giant cookie:
1. Prepare the dough
In one bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Add the eggs and vanilla to the wet mixture and blend. Mix in the dry ingredients and then stir in the chocolate chips.
2. Shape and bake the dough
Place the dough on a parchment paper lined pizza sheet. Press it down evenly, leaving at least 1″ all the way around for spreading.
Add red, white and blue chocolate candies to the top, pressing them gently down into the batter. Bake until golden brown.
3. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles
Personally, I prefer my giant cookie cake served warm and topped with some vanilla ice cream. But if you want to make it extra pretty, let it cool and then pipe some frosting around the outside. Add sprinkles for a festive touch!
This is giant cookie perfection! It’s soft and chewy in the center with a slightly crispy edge. The outer layer is golden brown and has a nice crunch.
Inside, it’s chewy and tender, just the way a cookie should be. It’s like a perfect combination of a cookie and a cake.
Whether you have it warm or cooled, it’s a treat that will satisfy your sweet cravings. Don’t forget the ice cream on top!
Make-Ahead Convenience: Preparing the Dough for Easy 4th of July Baking
You can prepare the cookie dough for the 4th of July Cookie Cake in advance and refrigerate it for up to 48 hours. Simply wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before chilling it in the refrigerator.
This allows you to conveniently prepare the dough ahead of time, saving you time and effort on the day you plan to bake the cookie cake.
Just make sure to bring the dough back to room temperature before baking to ensure even baking and optimal texture.
4th of July Giant Cookie Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz butter or use 4 oz butter and 1/2 cup shortening for 1 cup total
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi sweet regular or miniature size chocolate chips
- 1.5 oz red, white and blue chocolate candies one regular sized bag of M&M's
- vanilla frosting optional
- red, white and blue sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a 12 inch round pizza pan with a circle of parchment or non-stick foil.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp saltMix flour, baking soda and salt together; set aside.
- 8 oz butter, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 cups semi sweet regular or miniature size chocolate chipsCream butter and both sugars by hand or with an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. When well mixed, add flour mixture and stir until blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 1.5 oz red, white and blue chocolate candiesPut all the batter on the pan and press it into a circle. Stop the circle about 1 ½ from the rim if there are no raised edges. Press chocolate candies decoratively into top.
- Bake on center rack for 32-35 minutes or until cookie is golden around edges and appears set.
- vanilla frosting, red, white and blue sprinklesOnce the cookie has cooled, decorate around the edges with piped frosting and add sprinkles. Slice into triangles to serve.
- Be sure to leave room at the edge of the pan for spreading (about 1″)
- Use parchment paper to line the pan for easy removal after baking
- Store covered at room temperature
- Reheat leftovers for a few seconds in the microwave-delicious!
- Allow to cool a bit before serving