This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Make a batch of these delicious and gooey Crockpot Express Brownies (using a brownie mix) and enjoy dessert without heating up the kitchen!
A few years ago I hosted a weekly challenge to help new Crockpot Express users. During the final week we covered desserts, and I included this simple “recipe” for how to make brownies in the Crockpot Express.
Note: making brownies this way isn’t any faster than baking them in the oven. The main advantage is avoiding using the oven during hot months.
Also, if you like a really gooey, fudgy brownie, you’re going to want to try them this way. Be sure to check out all my other Crockpot Express recipes-especially all the desserts!
I had to include this picture. This is what the pan looked like when I pulled it out of the Crockpot Express. Weird, right?!? I though the ruffle pattern was pretty cool, though.
It can be a bit tricky to get them out of the pan if it’s not greased really well. If necessary, you can run a knife around the edges. Usually, though, a gentle tap will encourage the cake to drop out of a Bundt pan.
Tips for “baking” in the Crockpot Express:
- Adjust your expectations. The oven is a hot, dry environment while the pressure cooker is hot, wet environment. You are steaming rather than baking, resulting in very moist desserts.
- Use a trivet with handles to serve double duty as a trivet (keeping the pan out of the water) and sling (for easy removal afterwards.) I love this OXO trivet found on Amazon.
- Use a Bundt pan. You will get much more evenly cooked foods if you use a pan that is heating from the inside as well as the outside. It shortens cook time as well. Another option is to use silicone egg bite molds! This 6 cup Bundt pan from Nordic Ware is the one I use for all my pot-in-pot cooking.
- Cover with foil to keep the batter from getting too wet. Because of the steamy environment, anything exposed is going to end up extra soggy. Loosely cover anything in foil and then remove after cooking.
Crockpot Express Brownies (box mix)
- 18.4 oz box of brownie mix
- 3 tbsp water (or what is called for on the box)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or what is called for on the box)
- 2 eggs (or what is called for on the box)
- Grease a 6 cup bundt pan and set aside.
- 18.4 oz box of brownie mix, 3 tbsp water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggsIn a bowl, mix the brownie mix and other ingredients called for on the box. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Cover with foil.
- Remove lid from CPE and make sure inner pot is inside. Place trivet inside and add 1 cup of water.
- Lower the bundt pan into the pot using a foil sling or trivet with silicone handles if you have one.
- Cover and lock the lid in place. Turn Steam Release Valve to closed. Press Dessert and adjust pressure up to High and Cook time to 40 minutes.
- When cooking cycle is done, do a quick pressure release and remove pan to cool.
- After cooling, flip the bundt pan over and turn the brownie “ring” out onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar for a finished look.