This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Celebrate Independence Day (or any summer day) with these red, white and blue 4th of July Waffles! They’re stuffed with fresh blueberries and strawberries for a delicious summer treat.
I love to make holidays special by doing something different with our meals. We have Reindeer Pancakes every Christmas, so maybe this year I’ll make 4th of July Waffles for Memorial Day and Independence Day. Little things like this are what my boys remember and that’s the whole point, right?
I hesitated to call these Fourth of July Waffles because I’d hate to limit them to just one day a year! You’ll love these waffles stuffed with fresh blueberries and strawberries, whether you’re using them for a patriotic breakfast or just a fun summer treat.
Begin with a standard waffle mixture made from scratch.
Then separate the mixture into two bowls and add food coloring and fresh fruit.
Mix well to get the color and fruit evenly distributed!
Cook them up in your waffle iron and top with whipped cream and red, white and blue sprinkles for the perfect patriotic breakfast!
4th of July Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter extract
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Eggs
- Red and Blue Food Coloring
- 1 cup blueberries Chopped
- 1 cup strawberries Chopped
- Whipped Cream for topping
- red, white, and blue sprinkles for topping
- Preheat your waffle iron, coat with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk eggs and milk until well combined.
- Add butter, vanilla, butter extract, milk and egg mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Separate batter into two bowls evenly.
- Add blue food coloring and blueberries to one bowl of batter, and red food coloring and strawberries to the other.
- Mix each bowl until well combined.
- Fill waffle iron with batter and cook until the waffles are golden brown (about 5 minutes)
- Top with whip cream and sprinkles.
- Serve immediately.
Butter extract adds a delicious, buttery depth of flavor to baked goods! You can live without it, but the flavor just won’t be the same. Try it out if you’ve never used it before!
If you’re looking for more ideas for red, white and blue food this summer, try my Patriotic Cake Roll! (Maybe you’ll be more successful that I was with getting that tight roll in the center. I’ll not be winning any bake-off competitions any time soon.) 🙂