This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
This sweet and salty snack mix is perfect for 4th of July, and can easily be changed up for any holiday or party theme!
One of my favorite things about holidays throughout the year is making special foods to celebrate each one. While this is a 4th of July snack with all the red, white and blue, it can easily be switched up for different holidays.
The combination of sweet and salty is what keeps you going back for more. The fact that it looks really pretty on the party table is just a bonus!
What you need to make sweet and salty snack mix:
- popcorn (already popped)
- pretzels (I like regular mini pretzels, but pretzel sticks or balls will work, too!)
- mini M&M’s (love chocolate? go for the standard sized M&M’s instead)
- Cheerios (they aren’t just for babies!)
- sprinkles (pick a color!)
- white chocolate chips (I like Ghiradelli white chocolate chips)
- coconut oil (this makes the chips smooth for easy drizzling, and hardens at room temperature)
- baking sheet
- parchment paper for easy cleanup
Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss together the popcorn, pretzels, Cheerios, M&M’s and sprinkles. Spread out the mixture on the baking sheet.
In a microwave safe bowl, heat the white chocolate chips and coconut oil in 20 second increments. Stir well after each time until you get smooth white chocolate for drizzling. It shouldn’t take more than 1 minute of heating.
Drizzle the white chocolate all over the sheet pan and then gently toss to coat all of the red, white and blue snack mix.
Allow the mixture to cool and harden. Once the white chocolate coating has hardened, then serve either in a large bowl or in smaller cups.
Optional mix-ins for this white chocolate popcorn mix:
Try adding nuts like almonds or peanuts. Another great crunchy snack is Chex or Honeycomb cereal, especially if you don’t like Cheerios.
Dried fruits like raisins or cranberries add a little sweet to the snack mix. If you love sweets, then toss in a few chocolate or butterscotch chips as well.
Any kind of M&M’s will work with this 4th of July snack mix, so try full sized plain M&M’s or even Peanut M&M’s instead of the minis. They are the original sweet and salty snack. 😉
Other red, white and blue treats perfect for 4th of July
- Firecracker Jello Cups
- Red, White and Blue Slush
- Layered Red, White and Blue Drinks
- Flag Pretzel Treats
- Patriotic Cake Roll
- Red, White and Blue Waffles
- Star Sliders
- No Bake Mini Cheesecakes
Sweet and Salty Snack Mix
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup mini m&ms
- 1 cup cheerios
- ¼ cup sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 6 cups popped popcorn, 2 cups pretzels, 1 cup mini m&ms, 1 cup cheerios, ¼ cup sprinkles, 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chipsIn a large mixing bowl, toss together the popcorn, pretzels, m&ms, cheerios, sprinkles and ½ cup of the white chocolate chips. Spread the mixture out onto the baking sheet.
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons coconut oilIn another microwave safe bowl, melt the 1 cup white chocolate chips and coconut oil in 20 second increments until smooth. Stir vigorously after each 20 second interval.
- Drizzle the white chocolate mixture over the snack mix and toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet into an even layer to allow the white chocolate to cool and harden.
- Once the white chocolate coating has hardened, serve in a large bowl or scooped out into smaller servings.