This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
With delicious candy toppings and spiderweb icing, this chocolate chip Halloween Giant Cookie Cake is the perfect mix of spooky and sweet!
Over the years, we’ve had many birthday parties with this Perfect Giant Cookie Cake as the centerpiece, rather than a traditional birthday cake.
The chocolate chip cookie base is perfectly crispy on the bottom and around the edges, while the center stays soft and chewy. Topped with ice cream, it’s the perfect dessert in my opinion.
This year, I decided it would be fun to use that same giant cookie cake recipe base but create different holiday versions. So today I’m sharing how to create a cute Halloween Giant Cookie Cake.
For the cookie base:
- baking soda
- butter (or half butter, half shortening)
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- chocolate candies
For the decoration on top:
- Oreo pie crust (or very finely crushed Oreo cookies)
- vanilla frosting
- various Halloween candies like candy corn, candy eyes, sprinkles, etc.
I typically use a regular sized bag of plain M&M’s for our birthday cake cookie. It adds a fun pop of color. For this Halloween cookie cake, you could get Halloween M&M’s. If you do, you’ll want to add them to the top (they don’t really show inside the giant cookie.)
How to make the giant cookie base
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients. Set aside. In another bowl, cream together the sugars, butter and shortening. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat together.
After the batter is mixed, add the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Line a 12″ pizza pan with parchment paper and then press the batter onto the pan. Try to get it evenly spread around the pan. Be sure to leave space around the edges for spreading.
Press the chocolate candies into the top of the batter. Bake until golden brown around the edges.
How to decorate the Halloween Giant Cookie Cake
For the decoration on top, start with a very thin layer of icing on top of the giant cookie. Make sure it’s completely cooled first!
Next, break apart the Oreo pie crust (it’s perfect because the cookie “dust” is so fine) and spread it evenly across the icing. This will help it to stick in place. Add any sprinkles or candies to the top.
Then, use a piping bag or small plastic bag with a hole snipped in the corner and pipe frosting in a web design. Start with the wider lines and then add detail with a smaller tip.
Slice with a pizza slicer and serve!
You might also like these other Halloween treats:
Halloween Giant Cookie Cake
For the cookie base
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz butter or use 4 oz butter and 1/2 cup shortening for 1 cup total
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi sweet regular or miniature size chocolate chips
- 1.5 oz plain chocolate candies one regular sized bag
For the decoration
- 1 Oreo cookie pie crust
- 8 oz vanilla frosting
- Halloween themed sprinkles and candies
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a 12 inch round pizza pan with a circle of parchment or non-stick foil.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp saltMix flour, baking soda and salt together; set aside.
- 8 oz butter, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 cups semi sweet regular or miniature size chocolate chipsCream butter and both sugars by hand or with an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. When well mixed, add flour mixture and stir until blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 1.5 oz plain chocolate candiesPut all the batter on the pan and press it into a circle. Stop the circle about 1 ½ from the rim if there are no raised edges. Press chocolate candies decoratively into top.
- Bake on center rack for 32-35 minutes or until cookie is golden around edges and appears set. Cool completely.
- 8 oz vanilla frostingSpread a thin layer of icing on top of the cooled cookie.
- 1 Oreo cookie pie crust, Halloween themed sprinkles and candiesBreak apart the Oreo pie crust and sprinkle it evenly on top of the icing. Add sprinkles and candies.
- With a piping bag, pipe frosting in a web design. Add additional candies if desired.
- Be sure to leave room at the edge of the pan for spreading (about 1″)
- Use parchment paper to line the pan for easy removal after baking
- Store covered at room temperature
- Reheat leftovers for a few seconds in the microwave-delicious!
- Allow to cool a bit before serving