This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
With just 6 ingredients (plus whatever toppings you love) this Easy Burrito Bake is the perfect meal for busy families!
Every week, we have “Taco Tuesday” in our house. It’s really just a sneaky way for me to not have to think about what’s for dinner one night a week. We rotate through a few favorites and this Easy Burrito Bake is regularly requested by my boys.
The crescent dough on the bottom is a nice change from standard tortillas. It bakes really nicely, freeing you up to do other things like chopping fresh veggies for the topping or making guacamole.
This recipe is very similar to another favorite of ours- Easy Taco Braid. The taco braid is filling stuffed inside the dough, rather than just baked on top of it. It looks very pretty and makes for great presentation.
The burrito bake has refried beans (which helps it be a bit more filling for my hungry boys) and doesn’t require the extra step of braiding the dough.
- crescent roll dough sheet (or the perforated crescent roll dough, rolled out to be a single sheet)
- ground beef or turkey
- refried beans
- taco seasoning
- all your favorite taco or burrito toppings
Start by browning the ground beef or turkey on the stove.
Next, stir in the refried beans and taco seasoning. Warm the beans enough so that they are soft and easy to spread.
Add the onion and mix well. You can do this is a separate bowl or in the pan on the stove. Either way is fine.
Now comes the fun part: time to assemble! Start by spraying a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Then spread out the dough sheet in the bottom of the pan. It will go up the sides just a bit. Press it down to get it as even as possible all the way around.
Spread the meat mixture on top of the dough.
Top with shredded cheese (I like to use Colby Jack, but you can use any kind of cheese you prefer.) Try Pepper Jack cheese for a little spice, or Oaxaca cheese for gooey cheese pulls!
Bake for 25 minutes, until the dough is golden brown on the edges.
Suggested toppings for Easy Burrito Bake
I like to serve our burrito bake with lots of topping options. We have vegetables like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, or jalapenos. Wait. Jalapenos would be considered a fruit, along with avocados. Anyway, you get the idea.
Don’t forget things like Mexican crema (or sour cream), guacamole and salsa!
What to serve with your burrito bake
I always struggle with side dish ideas when I’m serving a casserole-style dinner. It’s already got a protein, starch and vegetables included! Most often, we enjoy burrito bake with chips and salsa. If I’m craving something a little lighter (and I want to fill us up a bit more) then I’ll serve a basic salad as well.
If you’re more of a “rice and beans” person, then try my Crockpot Express Cilantro Lime Rice as a side dish.
Other delicious ideas for Taco Tuesday
- Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme
- Easy Taco Braid
- Slow Cooker Cuban Pork
- Crockpot Express Mexican Rice
- Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos
- Mexican Pie
- Chicken Tamale Pie
- Sheetpan Quesadillas
- Creamy Taco Pasta Bake
Easy Burrito Bake
- 1 can (8 oz) crescent dough sheet or crescent roll dough
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 pkt (1 oz) taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheese Colby Jack, cheddar, or pepper Jack
- 1 can (8 oz) crescent dough sheetPreheat oven to 350. Spread the dough on the bottom of a greased 9x13 and seal the edges if it's perforated.
- 1 lb ground beef, 1 pkt (1 oz) taco seasoning, 1 can (15 oz) refried beans, 1/2 cup chopped onionIn a skillet on the stove, brown the meat and drain. Stir in the seasoning, beans, and onions.
- Top the dough with the meat mixture.
- 2 cups shredded cheeseTop the meat with the cheese and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Add desired toppings and serve cut into squares.