This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Using just 5 ingredients, you can spice up Taco Tuesdays with this easy Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos recipe!
Taco Tuesdays are a time-honored tradition in our house. Mostly because I love ANY kind of Mexican food. But sometimes I get into a rut and need to shake things up. That’s when this delicious (and SO easy) recipe for Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos comes to the rescue!
I recently returned from a girls’ trip to Cancun, and while we were there I enjoyed Mexican food to my heart’s content. We were adventurous and tried so many different things. I was in salsa heaven, I’m telling you.
These beef tacos aren’t going to bring me back to Cancun, but I can at least pretend for a few minutes. 😉 And I really do appreciate that I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen preparing them. You can slow cook or pressure cook the roast and have delicious shredded beef when it’s done!
What you’ll need to make Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos
- 2-3 pound beef roast, such as bottom round, or chuck
- taco seasoning (use my recipe to make your own or grab a package from the store)
- beef broth
- corn tortillas
- red cabbage mix
- lime juice (optional but totally necessary for all Mexican food in my opinion) 😉
- Crockpot Express Multi-Cooker or Slow Cooker (instructions for both)
Place the roast, seasoning and broth into the pot. If the roast is larger than 2 pounds, be sure to cut it into two equal halves. To really amp up the flavor, before doing this step, you’ll want to use the Brown/Sear setting and sear the meat on each side for at least 5 minutes.
However, I’ll be honest…the whole point of this shredded beef recipe is to be super simple. It’s kind of a “dump it and forget it” kind of meal. Plus, the meat isn’t being eaten plain like Crockpot Express Pot Roast would be.
So I don’t mind skipping the searing for this recipe. However, if you make my pot roast, PLEASE don’t skip the searing! For the beef tacos-it’s your choice. Either way will work-just note the cook times in the recipe card.
When the roast is finished cooking (it should be easily shredded with a fork) then remove from the pot and shred. Return the shredded beef to the pot for about 10 minutes to keep warm and soak up some of the juices and flavors.
While the meat is soaking in the cooking liquids, heat up the corn tortillas in a pan or toaster oven.
Strain the beef, allowing the juices to drain completely. This will keep your tacos from getting too soggy.
Place a bed of cabbage on the tortilla, top with the shredded beef and then squeeze a lime wedge over the whole taco. Sprinkle with any additional toppings you prefer. Fresh cilantro and cotija cheese is a great option.
What can you serve alongside your Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos? Why, I’m glad you asked! Try any of these recipes:
- Crockpot Express Mexican Rice
- Creamy Confetti Rice
- Crockpot Express Cilantro Lime Rice
- Crockpot (or Crockpot Express) Refried Beans
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
Crockpot Express Shredded Beef Tacos
- 2-3 pound beef roast such as bottom round, or chuck
- 1 oz taco seasoning mix 1 packet or use homemade mix
- 32 ounces beef broth
- corn tortillas
- 1 14 oz bag red cabbage mix
- Lime juice optional
- If you opt to sear the meat first: Press Brown/Sear and Start/Stop. Allow the pot to heat up completely before adding the meat. While it's heating, cut the roast into two equal halves if it's over 2 pounds. Rub both sides with the taco seasoning. Place the meat in the pot (you may have to take turns if the halves are too large) and sear on each side for 5 minutes. Don't touch it while it's searing! Press Start/Stop. Remove the meat and set aside. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a silicone spatula to make sure there's nothing stuck to the bottom. Proceed to step 2.
- (Step 1 if you skip the sear) Place roast, seasoning, and broth into crockpot. Close and lock the lid. Turn the steam release valve to closed. Press Meat and adjust the time up to 60 minutes. NOTE: if you seared the meat first, adjust the cook time to 45 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is done, allow a full natural pressure release (about 15 minutes) and then open the lid.
- Shred beef on cutting board and place back into crockpot. Stir and leave on Keep Warm for another 10 minutes while you prep the tortillas.
- Heat corn tortillas in pan to brown on both sides. This can also be done in the toaster oven on toast setting.
- Strain beef, allowing most of the juices to drain. Place desired amount of cabbage mix into tortilla. Top with beef. Add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Top with favorite toppings. Best served with a small amount of cabbage, a squeeze of lime juice, and cilantro.
For slow cooking:
- Place roast, seasoning, and broth into crockpot. Cook 4-6 hours on high or until beef pulls apart easily with fork. (Follow the instructions in step 1 for searing first if desired.)