This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
These heart shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies are perfect for Valentine’s Day! The homemade batter and delicious cream cheese filling make them a special party treat.
Aside from chocolate chip cookies, I think whoopie pies may just be the best kind of cookie. They are soft and chewy, with a delicious creamy filling. These Red Velvet Whoopie Pies are like the perfect marriage of cookie and cupcake. If you pipe them into a heart instead of a circle, they are perfect for Valentine’s Day.
What you’ll need to make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- light brown sugar
- red food coloring- this powdered food coloring works great
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- thin candy hearts (optional)
- piping bags and tips (you can make do without them, but it’s easier with them)
Begin by creaming the butter and sugars together and then mixing in the wet ingredients one at a time. Add the dry and mix until blended. For the best rich red color, use powdered food coloring. You can get this at specialty baking stores or on Amazon. If you can’t find it, gel food coloring is the next best option.
Place the batter in a piping bag and use a large tip (or just snip off the end of the bag) and pipe hearts onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Pipe two diagonal lines from top to bottom, bringing the bottom point together like a “V.” Then use a small spatula to blend them together to create the heart shape. You can see a demonstration of this in the video below.
While the cookies are cooling, whip together the cream cheese filling and place in a piping bag. Pipe filling onto the bottom of a cookie and then sandwich two hearts together to create a delicious red velvet whoopie pie.
You can leave the heart shaped whoopie pies plain or add a few candy hearts as decoration. They are beautiful and delicious! Red Velvet is already a classic Valentine’s Day dessert and these whoopie pie hearts just take it to the next level.
If you want to try another red velvet recipe, check out these easy Red Velvet Oreo Truffles. Or visit my Valentine’s Day recipes and ideas page for lots more inspiration from Cupid. 😉
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 oz packet red food coloring powdered (or substitute with gel coloring)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugarCream the butter and two kinds of sugar together for 2-3 minutes.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oilStir in the vegetable oil, keep mixing.
- 1 eggAdd the egg and continue mixing.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 0.5 oz packet red food coloringAdd the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and food coloring.) Mix until blended smooth.
- 2/3 cup buttermilkPour in the buttermilk but do not over mix. Stir just until blended.
- Add the batter to a piping bag with a large tip (or just snip off the end of the bag.) Pipe 24 heart shaped cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. The tops of the cookies should spring back when gently pressed.
- 4 oz cream cheese, 3 tbsp powdered sugarCool on a wire rack. While they are cooling, prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe over half of the cookies. Sandwich a second cookie over the filling to create one whoopie pie.
- Crockpot Express Apricot Chicken - May 15, 2023
- Sweet and Spicy Carrots - May 4, 2023
- Biscoff Cake Recipe - May 2, 2023
Leave a Reply