This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
A sweet corn cake topped with enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese, Chicken Tamale Pie is a family favorite!
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have another winner, ladies and gentlemen! You know those sweet little scoops of corny goodness you get with a plate at El Torito? It’s called tomalito. This Chicken Tamale Pie is dinner sized version of that. And it is so easy to make!
What you’ll need to make Chicken Tamale Pie
- taco seasoning
- ground red pepper
- cream style corn
- corn muffin mix
- can of diced green chiles
- can of red enchilada sauce
- shredded cooked chicken
- shredded cheese
In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, taco seasoning, red pepper, corn, muffin mix and chiles. Stir just until moistened.
Pour the mixture into a greased 9″ pie dish. Use a deep dish pie pan if you have one because there’s a lot of mixture! Bake for 20-30 minutes. While it’s baking, toss the shredded chicken with the remaining taco seasoning.
What kind of chicken is best for Chicken Tamale Pie?
This is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken! I often will make a whole chicken in my Crockpot Express and then use it for several meals throughout the week.
A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is another great option. If you’re pressed for time but don’t want to hit the drive-thru, you can still make a delicious meal at home. Just use a short-cut!
Canned chicken is also great for this. The flavor isn’t as good as using fresh chicken, but since it’s covered in sauce and cheese, you can definitely get away with it. 🙂
When the pie is just barely set and turning golden brown (check after 20 minutes and then keep an eye on it), remove from the oven and pierce all over with a fork.
Pour the enchilada sauce all over the warm pie. Add the chicken on top of the sauce, and then cover with cheese.
Return the Chicken Tamale Pie to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it set for at least 5 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream, fresh avocado and cilantro.
Serve Chicken Tamale Pie with a nice fresh salad, some homemade refried beans (made in the slow cooker or pressure cooker) or even this easy Crockpot Express Mexican Rice.
Chicken Tamale Pie
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning divided
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
- 1 box (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles drained
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning, 1/4 tsp ground red pepper, 1 can (15 oz) creamed corn, 1 box (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix, 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilesPreheat oven to 400°. Combine first 7 ingredients (milk through chiles) using just 1/2 tbsp of taco seasoning in a bowl and stir until moistened. Pour into a lightly greased pie dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning, 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce, 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, 1 cup shredded cheeseWhile it's baking, toss the chicken with the remaining taco seasoning. When the pie is done (it will be just barely set and golden brown) remove from oven and pierce several times with fork. Pour enchilada sauce over the pie and sprinkle chicken over top. Cover with cheese and then put back in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cilantro, fresh avocado, salsa or anything you prefer.
Just for fun, here are a few “winners” that I’ve discovered since beginning this blog:
- Easy Buttery Baked Shrimp
- Chicken Fiesta Soup
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Burritos
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Cruchwrap Supreme
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes - March 21, 2023
- Lemon Bundt Cake with Berries and Cream - March 3, 2023
- Crockpot Express Glazed Carrots - February 24, 2023
Jamie @ Coffee With Us 3 says
This sounds like a great dinner! Thanks for sharing at Saturday Dishes! I’m pinning your recipe.
Thanks for sharing this with Saturday Dishes. This sounds great! My family will like it. Hope to see you next Saturday for BLTs.
Wishes for tasty dishes,
Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa