This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Enjoy the classic flavors of banana pudding in this moist and delicious Banana Pudding Poke Cake!
Having a baby in the house meant that we always had bananas. They really are the perfect baby food! So when I saw a poke cakes on Pinterest years ago, I thought I would try a Banana Pudding Poke Cake. It makes the perfect 1st birthday cake!
Charlie is now 8 years old and I figured it was time to update this recipe, but I couldn’t bring myself to delete his adorable baby face enjoying a slice of cake.
Yellow cake was cleaner than chocolate, and I knew the flavor would be a hit, at least with the birthday boy! It turned out to be a good choice and popular with everyone.
The cool whip frosting keeps this cake light and the pudding keeps it so moist and yummy. Another plus is you can make the cake the night before and leave it in the refrigerator. The flavors have all night to come together, and it saves you time on a busy day.
What do you need to make Banana Pudding Poke Cake?
Banana Pudding Poke Cake starts with a boxed cake mix, which makes it even easier! You’ll need the ingredients for the cake, sweetened condensed milk, pudding mix, whipped topping, bananas, and wafer cookies.
After the cake has cooled a bit, use a wooden spoon handle to poke holes all over it. Be sure to get all the way down to bottom of the pan.
Next comes the step that gives poke cake it’s creamy and delicious texture. Pour the pudding mixture into the holes and all over the cake. You may need to push some of the pudding down into the holes with the back of a spoon. Try to get it all the way to the bottom!
After cooling in the refrigerator to set the pudding mixture, cover with whipped topping as the frosting. (The longer it sets, the more flavorful and delicious it will be, so make this the night before if you can!)
Lastly, right before serving, top with sliced bananas and wafer cookies. Every slice will taste just like old fashioned banana pudding!
Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- 1 15 oz box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 pkg (3.4oz) instant banana pudding
- 1 pkg (3.4oz) instant French vanilla pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tub (8 oz) frozen whipped topping thawed
- 20 vanilla wafers crushed
- Bake the cake according to package instructions for 9×13 cake. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the cake. (Make sure they reach all the way to the bottom of the pan)
- In a bowl, whisk together the pudding, milk and condensed milk until smooth.
- Pour the pudding over the cake, getting it down into the holes as much as possible. Spread it out with the spoon and push it down into the cake.
- Put the cake into the refrigerator to cool and set (at least 2 hours.)
- Remove from the refrigerator and spread with whipped topping
- Top with crushed wafers and banana slices just before serving. (Keep refrigerated)
If you like Banana Pudding Poke Cake, I think you’ll also really like the flavors in this Banana Split Icebox Cake! It’s a no bake option for hot summer days.
Updated 5/2020; originally posted 8/2012