This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
With only five ingredients and a cook time of 20 minutes, Parmesan Crusted Chicken is sure to become a new family favorite!
What you’ll need to make Parmesan Crusted Chicken:
- chicken breast (boneless/skinless)
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian cheese mix (Romano, Parmesan, Gouda, Mozzarella-any or all of them. It’s your choice.)
- seasoned bread crumbs
Can I use Panko instead of plain or seasoned bread crumbs?
Absolutely! I love the extra crunch that Panko crumbs add to this dish. I’ve used all three kinds of toppings: seasoned bread crumbs, plain bread crumbs (with my own added seasonings) and Panko crumbs. Just be sure to add some seasoning to the Panko so you get the extra flavor. I add parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper to mine.
Can I use Miracle Whip instead of Mayonnaise?
No. No no no. Eww. Yuck. No! Clearly, I’m not a fan of Miracle Whip. 😉 But aside from it being a vile and gross invention in the first place…it’s much to sweet to use in a savory dish like this. You don’t want to actually taste the creamy mixture. You just want the chicken to be moist and the Parmesan to be the star of the show.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast pounded to 1/2″ thickness
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise not reduced fat
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese freshly shredded off the block
- 1/4 cup white cheese mix Romano, Parmesan, Gouda, Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs use more if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Pound the chicken breast to 1/2″ in thickness.
- In a small bowl, mix mayo and cheeses together.
- Place chicken in a 9×13″ baking dish. Smear each piece with a generous amount of mayo/cheese mixture. Cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. (165 internal temp) If the topping isn’t golden brown enough after baking, place under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown/crisp the top.
- For best results, shred the cheese off the block, rather than using pre-shredded cheese. Either will work, but freshly melts and combines with the sauce better.
- To make your own seasoned bread crumbs, add 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt to 4 cups of plain bread crumbs. Shake to mix and store in an airtight container.