This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Slow cooked in a sweet and savory peach sauce, Crockpot Peach BBQ Chicken is a perfect recipe for summer!
Peach and chicken? Really?
Yes! I know it sometimes seems odd to pair sweet and savory dishes, but certain flavors just work well together. Chicken is such a versatile protein, and this BBQ chicken recipe is no exception.
If you think about it, BBQ sauce already has a lot of brown sugar and molasses in it. It makes sense that peach preserves would mix well with the tangy sauce.
Go ahead-try a different kind of bbq chicken slow cooker recipe. You won’t regret it!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Peach BBQ Chicken
- chicken thighs (either boneless/skinless or bone-in is fine; adjust cook time as needed)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper (omit if you don’t like the heat)
- poultry seasoning
- BBQ sauce (any kind)
- peach jam or preserves
- chicken broth
- Worcestershire sauce
For this slow cooker peach chicken, I like to use my own homemade peach jam made in the Crockpot Express. It comes together in just minutes and then I have a jar handy for things like peach chicken, ice cream topping or just spreading on toast!
Start by placing several chicken thighs in a slow cooker. For easy cleanup, spray with a little cooking oil first. Generously season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper for a little heat and some poultry seasoning.
In a separate bowl, mix together some BBQ sauce, peach jam, chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce to create a delicious cooking sauce. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken thighs, cover and cook.
Can I use chicken breast instead of making slow cooker BBQ chicken thighs?
Yes, you can. Personally, I prefer dark meat, especially when slow cooked. It gets so soft and tender that it shreds with just a touch. However, if you want to use chicken breast instead, that will work just fine.
The cook time will be much shorter if you use boneless chicken breast instead of bone-in. I usually find that my chicken breast is done in 2 hours when slow cooking (even on low) versus 4 hours or so when cooking chicken thighs.
Can I use bone-in chicken thighs instead of boneless?
Yes! Most often, chicken thighs on the bone are cheaper than the boneless and skinless version. They can be used interchangeably. Just remember that the cook time will be longer for bone-in meats. Always be sure that chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees (F).
What should I serve with this slow cooker peach chicken?
Chicken and rice are always a winning combination, or you may want to try one of these summer side dishes or desserts with your meal:
- Creamy Confetti Rice
- Crockpot Express Potato Salad
- Mom’s Baked Beans
- Summer Fruit Salad (with lime dressing)
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- White Corn Salad
- Creamy Pea Salad
- Crockpot Express Mashed Potatoes
- Berry Cheesecake Fluff
Can I make this BBQ chicken recipe in a Crockpot Express (pressure cooker) instead of slow cooking it?
Yes, this is one of those slow cooker recipes that easily translates to pressure cooking! To make Crockpot Express Peach BBQ Chicken (or any other kind of pressure cooker) follow the recipe as written, but adjust the cook time to reflect pressure cooking rather than slow cooking.
I typically cook bone-in chicken thighs for 15 minutes on the Poultry setting (high pressure) and do a 10 minute natural pressure release. Boneless chicken thighs would be closer to 10-12 minutes, depending on how large and thick they are.
One adjustment may need to be made. Depending on how thick the BBQ sauce and peach preserves are, you may need to add a bit more chicken stock to the mixture. Remember, when pressure cooking, you need thin liquids for building up steam.
The chicken will release liquid as it cooks, but if you’re sauce is “gloppy” then definitely thin it out a bit more to avoid the dreaded E6 error.
Slow Cooker Peach BBQ Chicken
- 5-6 chicken thighs 1.5 pounds boneless/skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce of choice
- 1/2 cup peach jam or preserves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5-6 chicken thighsPlace chicken thighs in crockpot. (Spray with nonstick cooking spray first for easy clean up.)
- 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoningSeason chicken with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and poultry seasoning.
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce of choice, 1/2 cup peach jam or preserves, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauceIn a small bowl, whisk together the bbq sauce and peach jam. Whisk in the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the bbq sauce mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Secure lid on crockpot and set to high heat for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.