This easy recipe for Baked Beans is a crowd-pleaser! Served hot or at room temperature, they are the perfect side dish for BBQ’s and picnics this summer.
When my husband and I were first married, this was one of the dishes he asked me to learn how to make. You know, “like Mom used to make-can you do that?” Every summer I pull out this baked beans recipe for BBQ’s, picnics and church potlucks. Well, I say “recipe” but you would laugh if you saw what I have written down. Jared’s mom has been making this for so many years, she doesn’t use measurements anymore. So my recipe card says things like, write “Mom” in ketchup two times across the pan or just go back and forth a couple of times across the pan with Worcestershire sauce. I love it! But it doesn’t translate well to an online recipe, so I did my best to recreate the recipe for you 🙂
Mom's Baked Beans
- 2 cans (28 oz) baked beans Choose whatever brand/flavor you prefer
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6-8 slices thick cut bacon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar Add up to 1/4 cup more if you like your beans sweet
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Drain any excess liquid from the cans of beans and then pour into a 9X13" pan.
- In a skillet, cook bacon and onion together until bacon is cooked but not crispy and onions are transparent. Save some bacon drippings to mix into the beans.
- Add bacon and onion mixture, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Drizzle about a tablespoon of the bacon dripping over the pan and stir together.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, until bubbly and warm in the center.
Now say goodbye to your baked beans, because you won’t be bringing home any leftovers 🙂
The sweetness of the sugar, the smokiness of the bacon and the tangy flavor of mustard come together to make this the perfect side dish for any BBQ. I’m not exaggerating when I say I never bring home leftovers!
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup: slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe - January 14, 2020
- Crockpot Express Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans - January 2, 2020
- The Best of 2019: Reader Favorites - December 28, 2019