This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Nothing says summer picnic like a classic Creamy Cucumber Salad. The simple, fresh flavors (and no mayo) in this salad are perfect for BBQ’s, cookouts and potlucks!
When I was growing up, my grandma always had a bowl of sliced cucumbers in white vinegar on the table with dinner. Sometimes, though, she made them into a Creamy Cucumber Salad instead.
This recipe is nostalgic in its simplicity. With just a few ingredients, you can mix together a quick salad that’s perfect for summer BBQ’s or just a weeknight dinner.
Try pairing it with these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches for an easy meal!
What you’ll need to make Creamy Cucumber Salad
- red onion
- fresh dill
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
Start by peeling and slicing the cucumbers for the salad. Slice the red onion into thin half-moons.
Should I peel the cucumbers?
Whether or not you peel cucumbers for the salad is entirely up to your preference. Peeled cucumbers are easier to eat and have a milder flavor, but you do lose nutrients. If you want to leave the peel in tact try to use a thin-skinned type of cucumber.
In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, garlic, dill and salt. Add pepper to taste if desired.
Add the sliced cucumbers and onion to the mixture and toss to coat well.
Once the salad is mixed, serve immediately. If you want to make this ahead of time, keep the cucumbers and onions separate from the mixture and toss together before serving.
Why is my creamy cucumber salad watery?
Cucumbers are full of water, and they start losing that as soon as you slice them. To cut down on liquids, opt for a seedless variety like English cucumbers.
Another option is to salt the slices and let them sit for about 20 minutes. This will pull out a lot of the excess water. Blot with a paper towel and then toss with the onions and sour cream mixture.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 large cucumbers
- ½ Red Onion sliced
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Dill minced
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- ½ Tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Salt
- Slice the red onion into half moons. Peel and slice the cucumber into about ¼-inch slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the onion and cucumber. Stir or toss to coat. Enjoy!
- If you like a bit of sweetness to your creamy cucumber salad, you can add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to the dressing mix.
- If you don’t have garlic on hand, a ½ tablespoon of garlic powder will do the trick.
- I do not suggest storing this. Once the dressing mixes with the vegetables, serve it right away for the best results. To make ahead, simply mix the dressing and slice the veggies and keep stored separately. Combine when ready to serve.