The weekend before I went in to have surgery to remove my gall bladder, I searched Pinterest for freezer meals. Of course, I ended up with 389,355,677 options to comb through. I wanted something that I could cook in the slow cooker (crockpot, crock pot- I never know what to call it) because I knew I wouldn’t be up to making meals for the family. I found a recipe for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. Somewhere. For some reason I didn’t pin it and now I can’t find it again. I think I was wandering down the rabbit hole and far off the main feed on Pinterest. 🙂 Anyway, I remembered the main ingredients, so I just tossed things into the bag, sealed it up and this week we enjoyed tender, juicy, flavorful BBQ chicken sandwiches for dinner. Success!
Most freezer to slow cooker meals that I have tried ended up as a great disappointment and very one-note in flavor. Hurray for exceptions to the rule! 🙂 I had some leftover meat today for lunch and it was still delicious!
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: Freezer to Slow Cooker Meal
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless , skinless chicken breast (I used two large breasts)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (we like Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Place all ingredients in a gallon-sized freezer bag, seal and mix together. Freeze.
- When ready to cook, remove bag from freezer and leave in refrigerator overnight to defrost.
- In a slow cooker, cook on Low for 5-6 hours.
- Turn off cooker, shred chicken with a fork and let sit for a few minutes to soak up the juice.
- Serve on hamburger buns or bread of your choice. I added cheese and coleslaw to mine.
If this recipe sounds good to you, you’ll probably like my BBQ Carnitas with Sweet Slaw. I use the same coleslaw recipe for those that I used with these sandwiches. What do you like with BBQ? Do you prefer the smoky, savory side, or do the sweet flavors appeal to you more?