This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
With flavorful rice cooked in the same sauce as the chicken, Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken is a complete and hearty meal! Comfort food is the best kind of food.
We eat a lot of chicken in our house, so I’m always looking for ways to change things up for variety’s sake. I love that the rice in this Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken recipe is cooked in the tomato sauce and cooking juices released from the chicken thighs. That adds so much flavor.
If I can also cook the meal in the Crockpot, that makes it a winner! This recipe does require a skillet for browning the chicken and making the sauce, but after that you let it cook low and slow while you go about your day.
Scroll down to also see instructions for making Crockpot Express Paprika Chicken. (That’s using a pressure cooker instead of slow cooker.)
What you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken
- olive oil
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper, chopped
- garlic, minced
- smoked paprika
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- white rice
- fresh green beans
- sour cream
- salt & pepper
Start by browning the chicken thighs in a skillet. It should take just 2-3 minutes per side. Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
In same skillet combine the oil, bacon, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and paprika and cook until the bacon is browning. Then add the flour, crushed tomatoes and broth to finish making the sauce.
Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on low 4-5 hours.
Remove the chicken, turn the slow cooker to high and stir in the rice. Return the chicken and cook on high for 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
If desired, add the green beans during the last 15 minutes of cook time.
Stir in the sour cream, add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley if desired. It’s a complete meal on the plate! Another family favorite chicken recipe is this Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice. It’s one of those “stick to your ribs” kind of family dinners.
How to make Crockpot Express Paprika Chicken (pressure cooker recipe)
If you have a pressure cooker like the Crockpot Express, you can make this meal in a snap! Follow the same basic instructions as shown above. You can use the Brown/Saute setting to first brown the chicken, and then cook the bacon and other ingredients needed in the sauce.
Next, add the rice into the pot, stir, and then place the browned chicken on top of the rice. (It’s OK if it sinks down into the rice/sauce mixture.) Press Rice/Risotto and adjust the time down to 8 minutes on LOW. Press Start/Stop. Allow a full natural pressure release so the rice has time to soak up the sauce and soften completely.
When the pressure has released and the lid unlocks, open the lid, remove the chicken and stir in the sour cream and additional seasoning. Serve as shown above!
The exception for making Crockpot Express Paprika Chicken is the fresh green beans. If you add them at the beginning of the cook time, they will be VERY soft and overcooked. I would just leave them out, unless you don’t mind them being quite soft.
You don’t really want to interrupt the rice cooking cycle because you’d have to do a quick release and that sudden change in pressure will break down the delicate rice grains and turn it to mush. Instead, steam them on the stove or in the microwave while the chicken and rice is cooking.
Slow Cooker Paprika Chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley chopped - for garnish
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a skillet on med/high, brown chicken and place in slow cooker
- In the same skillet, combine oil, bacon, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and paprika and cook until the bacon is browning
- Stir in flour and then add crushed tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper. Mix together and simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Pour over chicken, cook on low 4-5 hours
- Increase heat to high, remove chicken, add rice and stir
- Return chicken, cook 40 minutes or until rice is tender
- Add green beans in for the last 15 minutes of cooking
- Stir in sour cream, sprinkle with parsley to serve
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Press Brown/Saute and then Start/Stop. Allow to heat up for 5 minutes and then add the chicken thighs and brown on each side. Remove the chicken and then cook the bacon and other ingredients needed in the sauce. Press Start/Stop to cancel the saute setting.
- Next, add the rice into the pot, stir, and then place the browned chicken on top of the rice mixture. (It's OK if it sinks down into the rice/sauce mixture.) Press Rice/Risotto and adjust the time down to 8 minutes on LOW. Press Start/Stop.
- When the cooking cycle is done, allow a full natural pressure release so the rice has time to soak up the sauce and soften completely.
- When the pressure has released and the lid unlocks, open the lid, remove the chicken and stir in the sour cream and additional seasoning. Serve as shown above!