This Cheesy Chicken and Rice is made in the slow cooker and makes fantastic leftovers for lunch the next day!
OK, so this tasty chicken and rice may not be the most healthy and low-calorie thing you’ve ever eaten, but I guarantee it’s still better than hitting the drive-thru on the way home. I put this in the slow cooker on Sunday morning and came home to a delicious, stick-to-your-ribs lunch.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the idea of having to cook the rice separately, especially because we are always ravenous by the time we get home from church. To solve that problem, I just made it ahead of time and when we got home, I pulled it out of the fridge and tossed it in with the cheese and corn. It was ready to go in just about 10 minutes, so not bad. When I’m making this on a day that I’m home, I just cook the rice 30 minutes before we’re ready to eat and stir it in just before serving. Because it’s such a heavy meal, you’ll want to lighten it up by serving a nice crunchy salad on the side. I used Romaine lettuce for mine and it was a tasty combo.
Crockpot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 4 small or 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 8 oz box Zatarain's Yellow Rice Mix, cooked according to directions
- 1 cup cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Scatter chopped onion over top.
- Spoon cream soup over top of that.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours. A few minutes before serving, add in cooked rice, corn, and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot.
Click here for more Crockpot recipes like this Cheesy Chicken and Rice!
Post updated with new photos 3/2017
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019
- Fun Halloween Recipes for Kids - September 26, 2019