This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Add a little salty to your sweet with these delicious Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies! They are a fun twist on a classic.
I know, I know. I’m messing with perfection here. There’s simply nothing better than a fresh, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies. It’s my absolute favorite treat. But I had some leftover candied bacon after making a bunch of Honey Jalapeno Bacon.
I also know that 2015 was the year of bacon, so I’m a little behind the times here. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give my Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Trust me.
Something delicious happens when you combine sweet and salty flavors in a new way. The candied bacon plays off the chocolate so well, you’ll wonder why we haven’t always made cookies with bacon!
As I mentioned above, I was creating a new recipe for Honey Jalapeno Bacon, and during the testing process, I made several different batches of candied bacon.
I wanted to use up those leftovers, so I used them for cookies! This particular bacon didn’t have any jalapeno, so don’t worry about them being weirdly spicy. Although, if you’re looking for a little “kick” in your cookies, you should try my Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cookies!
How to make candied bacon for cookies (or just a snack)
For candied bacon, you want to start with good quality bacon that’s cut thick. It will hold up the best and won’t melt away into a puddle of bacon grease as it bakes.
Take the strips of bacon and dredge them in brown sugar. Press down gently to get the sugar to adhere to the meat. You can add more sugar to the plate as needed.
You’ll need an oven safe baking rack to cook the bacon. Spray it with some cooking spray and then lay the bacon out onto the rack. Place the rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet. (The rack that I linked to fits inside a standard quarter sheet pan.)
Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes (it depends on how thick your bacon is) and then flip and bake for 5-10 more minutes. You want the bacon to be cooked and fairly crispy. Then allow the bacon to cool on the rack.
Now it’s time to make Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 strips candied bacon diced (about 1 cup diced)
- To make the candied bacon, dredge both sides of a strip of thick cut bacon through some brown sugar on a plate, pressing down to help it stick.
- Place the bacon on a greased cooking rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet (this allows the excess grease to drip down away from the strips) and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- Turn slices and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and bacon pieces, evenly distributing the chunks as much as possible.
- Scoop the dough with a spoon or cookie scoop and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the edges. Allow to cool on the pan.
Updated 5/2021 This recipe originally appeared on Princess Pinky Girl