This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Pumpkin and chocolate combine for an irresistible treat in this moist and chewy cookie recipe. These 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies are perfect for busy days!
Cake mix cookies are a thing of beauty. Granted, they aren’t your traditional thin and crispy on the edges kind of cookie. But you can’t beat how easy they are to make, and the flavor options out there are unlimited!
Since these cookies are made with cake mix, they have a more moist and chewy consistency than other cookies. They don’t spread out during baking as most traditional cookies do, and will have a rounder appearance if not pressed down before baking.
If you would prefer a flatter cookie than rounded, press down gently on the cookie with the back of a spoon. Or, dip a fork in a bit of sugar and press down on the tops – like you would with a traditional peanut butter cookie recipe.
3 ingredients needed for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- yellow cake mix
- pumpkin puree (I’ve been having a hard time finding it in stores, so I make my own Crockpot Express Pumpkin Puree.)
- chocolate chunks (or chips, but I’m partial to chunky chocolate.)
Yep. That’s it. Seriously-you can prep these in about 3 minutes.
First, pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl and then add the pumpkin puree. Mix until combined. If you don’t have a stand mixer, a hand mixer works just as well.
Next, add the chocolate chunks. Fold these into the mixture with a spoon, rather than using a mixer. You don’t want to break apart those beautiful chunks of chocolate!
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. These precut parchment baking sheets are so handy! Drop by generous tablespoons onto the cookie sheet – 12 cookies per cookie sheet. For a pretty presentation, you can reserve a few chocolate chips to set into the tops of the cookies after you’ve dropped them onto the cookie sheet.
A cookie scoop speeds up the process of cookie making and helps yield consistently sized cookies. This cookie scoop from Wilton is a good one.
Bake until a toothpick or cake tester (I think this one is really fun) inserted in the center comes out clean. Then cool on the pan before removing to a cooling rack to completely finish cooling.
You can’t rely on the usual cues like “golden brown” or crispy edges to know when pumpkin cookies are done. They are already bright orange and have a different texture than typical cookies. But if you love pumpkin and chocolate you’re going to love these cookies!
You’ll probably also love my Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Ganache or Crockpot Express Pumpkin Cake (with that same delicious ganache on top.)
Frequently Asked Questions about 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies:
I don’t have a spice cake mix. Can I use a yellow cake mix instead?
Yes! Just use your yellow cake mix (or even a vanilla or white one) and add in the following spices:
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
How do I store these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies?
Store these cookies in a tightly covered container or ziploc bag. Keeping them in the refrigerator will help them stay fresh longer.
Can these cookies be frozen?
Absolutely! Place them in a tightly sealed container and freeze. They will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.
Is pumpkin pie filling the same as pumpkin puree?
No, it isn’t. Make sure you use pumpkin puree instead of pumpkin pie filling. If you have a pressure cooker, it’s very easy to make your own! I made mine in my Crockpot Express.
What brand of cake mix was used for this recipe?
Although there are different brands of spice cake mix, Duncan Hines was used for this specific recipe.
Other variations of this recipe for 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies:
- Drizzle cream cheese icing over the cookies after they’ve cooled completely. This recipe for Caramel Cream Cheese Icing would be delicious!
- Add in chopped nuts (like pecans or walnuts) along with or instead of the chocolate chips. (But if you pick “instead of” we probably can’t be friends.) 😉
- Use any type of chocolate chips you prefer. Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white chocolate all taste equally good!
- Do you like dried fruit? Dried cranberries or raisins would be delicious in these pumpkin cookies.
3 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies
- 1 16 oz box spice cake mix
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the cake mix into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the can of pumpkin puree. Mix on medium speed until combined well. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop by generous tablespoons onto the cookie sheet - 12 cookies per cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 -14 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cookie comes out clean. Cool on the cookie sheet for 7 minutes before putting them on a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Crockpot Express Apricot Chicken - May 15, 2023
- Sweet and Spicy Carrots - May 4, 2023
- Biscoff Cake Recipe - May 2, 2023
Leave a Reply