The other night I was surfing Pinterest (I know, shocker) and looking for more inspiration for blog posts when I saw a pin from American Heritage Cooking for Nutella-swirled banana bread. One of my favorite snacks is graham crackers spread with Nutella and topped with banana slices, so I figured this banana bread would be right up my alley! I pinned it to my Breads and Spreads board (which you should totally check out and follow if you are a carb lover like me.) When it came time to make this bread, I used my own favorite banana bread recipe from an old Better Homes and Garden cookbook and just added the Nutella. Yep. Pretty much ruined plain old banana bread for me forever.
Banana Bread with Nutella Swirls
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas, depending on size) I like them before they get too ripe-just starting to get spotted all over
- 3/4 cup sugar , plus 1 tbsp
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread , divided (Nutella, Jiff spread, etc.)
- Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with butter and then sprinkle with 1 tbsp of sugar. Shake the pan pan to distribute the sugar around the bottom and up the sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, bananas, sugar and oil. Add all at once to the dry mixture.
- Stir until moistened (it will still be lumpy)
- Pour half of the batter into the pan. Drop spoonfuls of Nutella on top of the batter and using a knife or skewer, draw it through the batter to create swirls.
- Cover with the other half of the batter and drop the remaining Nutella by spoonful on top. Once again, draw a knife through the spread to swirl the chocolate spread and the batter together.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nearly clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
When I sliced into my bread, I got a pleasant surprise. Somehow my chocolate swirls became a happy smile, inviting me to gobble up this tasty bread! 🙂
See? Happy bread!
I got the cute little loaf box and ribbon from Pick Your Plum (affiliate) the last time they had a clearance sale. You never know what they are going to have in stock, but there’s something new and fun every day!