This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Several years ago, my husband and I went out for dinner and tried TGI Fridays egg rolls. They had a Southwestern twist and the most delicious creamy avocado sauce. I came home and did my best to recreate that delicious appetizer!
This recipe makes quite a few Southwestern Egg Rolls, so feel free to cut it down if you aren’t making a party platter. There are typically about 20 egg roll wrappers in a package. I always assume a few torn or ruined wrappers, so the overall yield is about 35.
For the Southwestern Egg Rolls
- frozen corn, thawed
- black beans, drained and rinsed
- frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- diced green chiles, drained
- green onions, chopped
- taco seasoning
- egg roll wrappers
- oil for frying
For the Creamy Avocado Sauce
- sour cream
- buttermilk- if you don’t have any, you can make some by mixing a cup of milk with a tbsp of lemon juice
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- green onion chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- ripe avocado
Start by adding filling to the center of an egg roll wrapper. Roll up from the bottom to cover the filling. You may need to wet the edges to help hold it together. Fold over the corners and then continue rolling. Wet your fingers with a few drops of water and run along the edges to seal.
Fry in hot oil, about 30 seconds per side. Serve your Southwestern Egg Rolls with freshly made avocado dipping sauce!
Southwestern Egg Rolls with Creamy Avocado Sauce
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 9 oz box frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles drained
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 16 oz. packages egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
For the Creamy Avocado Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp buttermilk or make your own by mixing 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to sour. Freeze the leftover buttermilk in an ice-cube tray for later
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 avocado pitted and peeled
- 2 cups frozen corn, 1 15 oz can black beans, 1 9 oz box frozen spinach, 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese, 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles, 4 green onions, 2 tbsp taco seasoningIn a large bowl, mix together corn, beans, spinach, cheese, chiles, onions and seasoning
- 2 16 oz. packages egg roll wrappersScoop 2 tbsp of filling onto the bottom third of a wrapper. Starting at a corner, roll over the filling, tucking in the sides as you continue to roll. Wet your finger tips and run over the seams to seal.
- Oil for fryingIn a frying pan, heat an inch of oil on med-high heat. Add a few egg rolls to the oil. Leave plenty of room between each one (I did four at a time). Cook on each side for about 30 seconds, until golden brown. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
Creamy Avocado Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, 3 tbsp buttermilk, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 green onion chopped, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 avocadoTo make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Serve immediately.