This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Creamy, cheesy and comforting, Crockpot Mac and Cheese is perfect for family dinners or potluck!
I have a confession: I’m obsessed with macaroni and cheese. I love it so much that I developed this recipe for Crockpot Mac and Cheese, which is creamy, cheesy, and comforting.
It’s really a hybrid meal, because you still have to boil the noodles before putting everything in the crock pot, but it is nice to get things ready for dinner in the afternoon and then you avoid that 5:00 rush to get dinner going.
This comfort food also happens to be so easy to make! If you want to try something new or just eat some delicious comfort food, give this Crockpot Macaroni & Cheese recipe a go!
Ingredients needed for Crockpot Macaroni & Cheese:
- pasta-I use elbow macaroni, but Rotini is also a great option because it holds the sauce well
- butter-butter is a key ingredient in this recipe, as it adds a lot of flavor and helps the cheese melt. It also helps the sauce thicken
- evaporated milk-sold in 12 oz. cans (now powdered milk)
- sharp cheddar cheese-mild cheddar is OK to use, but sharp cheddar packs more of a punch of cheesy flavor. Grate it fresh off the block for the best melting consistency (pre-shredded cheese doesn’t melt well)
- Velveeta-for the smoothest consistency and longer cook time in the slow cooker, you need chunks of Velveeta. If you can’t stand the idea of using a processed cheese, try my Homemade Velveeta Cheese!
- ground mustard-this spice adds a little kick and also a pretty yellow color to your Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
- salt and pepper
Steps for making mac and cheese in the slow cooker
Easy things to stir into Crockpot Mac and Cheese:
- bacon- cook and chop up pieces of thick cut bacon, or cheat a little and try bacon bits!
- ham-this is a great way to use up leftover ham after Easter or Christmas!
- kielbasa or sausage-adding protein makes Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese into a complete meal.
- shredded or diced chicken breast
- vegetables-peas or broccoli are great add-in options for macaroni and cheese.
Just look at that creamy deliciousness! I make this recipe for family gatherings on occasion, and it’s always gobbled up. Even with a large crowd, the recipe is enough to serve at least 20 as a side dish.
This is the best macaroni and cheese recipe! It’s creamy, cheesy and comforting. I loved being able to cook it in my Crock-Pot to keep it warm for everyone. This would be great for a family dinner or potluck!
If you like this Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese, you might like one of these other slow cooker recipes
- Crockpot Tamale Pork
- Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
- Easy Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Crockpot Ravioli
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni 1 pound pkg
- 1/4 cup butter cut into chunks
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Spray 4-5 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni, 1/4 cup butterCook and drain macaroni as directed on package, using minimum cook time. Place macaroni in slow cooker; immediately add butter and stir until melted.
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, 8 oz Velveeta cheese, 2 Tbsp ground mustard, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepperAdd evaporated milk, half-and-half, Cheddar cheese, the cubed cheese, mustard, salt and pepper; stir to blend well.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 2 to 3 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
Originally published 7/2015; Updated 7/2022