This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Behold, homemade “Velveeta” cheese made with real food. Honestly! This is clean-eating kind of food. Seriously.
The cheese loaf. It’s not exactly the most beautiful creation in the food world. You walk over to the refrigerated section of your grocery store, glance around quickly to see if anyone’s looking and then quickly place that bright yellow box into your cart and bury it under a bag of fresh vegetables.
But let’s face it, you simply cannot make creamy, cheesy dips for football season without it! And no matter how hard I’ve tried, I CANNOT make macaroni and cheese in the slow cooker without cubes of yellow “cheese-product.”
Until today. The process for this could not be easier.
This recipe for homemade Velveeta cheese takes fewer than 5 minutes to put together. Then you have to patient and wait for 12 hours, so plan ahead!
The good news is that this will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator if you keep it tightly wrapped. I have noticed that it starts to lose it’s ability to melt down into creamy perfection the longer it’s been in the refrigerator, so I would use it sooner rather than later.
I actually had a box of Velveeta in my refrigerator *blushes* so I pulled out the cardboard box and lined it with plastic wrap. It was a perfect fit!
Cover tightly and refrigerate!
Want to see this homemade Velveeta in action? Here’s a deliciously-gooey grilled cheese sandwich I made using a couple slices of my homemade Velveeta cheese.
Honestly? It tastes WAY better than the stuff that comes in the bright orange box. I’ve always thought Velveeta had a bit of a funny aftertaste.
This cheese will melt and give you all the texture that you’re looking for in comfort food, without adding any unnecessary chemicals. Hurray for clean eating when and where you can!
Try this homemade Velveeta cheese in one of these recipes:
Homemade Velveeta Cheese
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pkt unflavored gelatin 1/4 oz.
- 6 tbsp dried milk powder
- 16 oz. cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup boiling water, 1 pkt unflavored gelatin, 6 tbsp dried milk powderAdd boiling water, gelatin and powdered milk to the blender (or food processor) and puree until mixed.
- 16 oz. cheddar cheeseAdd shredded cheese a few handfuls at a time and continue to blend until smooth. Open and scrape down the sides with a spatula a few times.
- Pour/scoop mixture into a small loaf pan or other mold lined with plastic wrap. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 12 hours.