Did you know that September is National Family Meals Month? Growing up, it was just expected that we ate dinner together as a family. Even though we were a busy pastor’s family, my parents always made time for us to sit down together for dinner and talk about our day. Over time, that important ritual has seemed to slip away from so many families. We are so busy due to stuffed schedules and sometimes the first thing to go is dinner. You may not be able to eat together every night of the week, but these Easy Beef Quesadillas made with Hormel’s Taco Meat will make it possible for you to have one more dinner together than you may have planned.
For some reason, I’d never seen the Taco Meats made by Hormel before! They were right there in the refrigerated section at Wal-Mart and there were several varieties to choose from. The meat is already seasoned and shredded so all you have to do is heat it up! I’m pretty sure this meal only took 15 minutes to put together and even my picky boys gobbled them up!
Start with three simple ingredients: Hormel Taco Meat (beef for us), shredded cheese and tortillas. Then add some delicious fresh pico de gallo and guacamole and you’re ready to go! Family meals eaten together at home are proven to benefit health, fight obesity, and create a positive impact on our communities.* So no excuses! Spend a few minutes in the kitchen and then sit down together as a family. 🙂
Easy Beef Quesadillas
- 1 pkg Hormel Taco Meat-beef
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese we like cheddar or colby jack
- For the Pico de Gallo
- 1 to mato diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed and diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped (but you can never use too much) 😉
- Splash of lemon or lime juice
- For the guacamole:
- 3 avocados mashed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of the prepared pico de gallo
- Heat taco meat according to package directions.
- Heat pan or electric grill and drizzle with oil
- Place tortilla down on the pan and add cheese and meat. Cook on the grill until cheese starts to melt. Fold over and continue cooking until warmed through and both sides of the tortilla are browned.
- For the pico, add all the diced vegetables to a bowl and mix well, stirring in the citrus juice at the end. To make the guacamole, mash the avocados and then stir in the desired amount of pico de gallo (about 1/4 cup.)
- Serve quesadillas with guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream
Hormel Foods believes in bringing families together with easy, crowd-pleasing recipes. That’s why they’re supporting the FMI Family Meals program in encouraging you to Raise Your Mitt to one extra meal together each week of September. Head over to the Hormel Facebook Page and submit a photo of your family eating dinner together for a chance to win a variety of prizes! If you are looking for other great Easy Recipe Ideas head over and Visit Hormel Foods for some tasty inspiration!
Sources: Berge, J. (2015). The protective role of family meals for youth obesity: 10-year longitudinal associations. The Journal of Pediatrics, 166 (2).
Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2010). Family meals and adolescents: what have we learned from project EAT (eating amount teens)? Public Health Nutrition, 13 (7).