This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Hearty and comforting, Easy Crockpot Potato Soup comes together quickly thanks to the use of frozen potatoes.
This easy Crockpot Potato Soup is rich, hearty, creamy and tastes amazing when topped with bacon! I’ve seen it in an old Taste of Home magazine, church cookbooks and this very similar recipe on Lil’ Luna.
Before I go any further, I should tell you, if you are not a fan of canned soups, then this isn’t the recipe for you. But if you’re willing to use a can once in a while, you won’t regret it.
I know growing up we always had cans of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken in the house. Now, I rarely buy it. But on occasion, you just can’t beat the classics.
Ingredients needed for Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
- frozen hash browns (for extra flavor, get the “O’brian” style cubed potatoes)
- cream of chicken
- cream of celery
- half and half
- cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar is perfect for this recipe!)
- salt and pepper
- cooked bacon
The appeal of this recipe is how quick and easy it is to toss together. For starters, you’re using frozen hash browns so there’s no need for peeling and dicing potatoes.
If you really want to keep it a complete one pot recipe (which can be made on the stovetop as well as the in the slow cooker) then use bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon fresh.
Instructions for making Crockpot Potato Soup with frozen potatoes:
Begin by melting butter and pouring it into the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the frozen potatoes in a layer on top of the butter.
For best results, use the cubed-style hashbrown (sometimes just called frozen potatoes) rather than shredded hashbrowns.
Add the cans of condensed soup. Don’t add water! Pour the half and half over the top and then cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
When the soup is finished cooking, stir until creamy and smooth. Add the cheddar cheese and cooked bacon and stir until evenly distributed.
What to serve with cheesy potato soup
Because this soup is so hearty, you might want to pair it with something light like a salad or some steamed vegetables. I cook broccoli and/or cauliflower very quickly in my Crockpot Express.
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns we like O'brian style with peppers and onions
- 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery
- 1 pint half and half
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz bacon cooked and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter, 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns, 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken, 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery, 1 pint half and halfMelt butter and pour into crockpot. Add remaining ingredients (except cheese, bacon, salt and pepper).
- Cook in crockpot on high for 3-4 hours.
- 8 oz baconWhile soup is cooking, prepare bacon by cooking until crisp, draining on paper towels and crumbling into small pieces
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to tasteAdd 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper before serving. Use reserve cheese to sprinkle on top along with bacon pieces
Photos updated 2/24