This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Hearty and comforting, Easy Crockpot Potato Soup comes together quickly and tastes great!
I am not normally a fan of potato soup. Just ask my brother why. He will tell you this long sob story about how when we were kids, our parents made a $300 error in the checking account and we didn’t have any money to buy groceries.
To make up the loss, my mom had to make do for three weeks with whatever was in the refrigerator and pantry. By the end of those weeks, we’d had potato soup more than once, and it was NOT hearty and cheesy. It was pretty watery and gross, and we all hated it.
Now as a parent, I feel really bad for my poor mom. She DID manage to feed us for three weeks with no grocery budget whatsoever. Even if we ate a lot of saltine crackers and watery soup.
Anyway, this easy Crockpot Potato Soup is nothing like the soup I remember. It’s rich, hearty, creamy and tastes amazing when topped with bacon! I’ve seen it in an old Taste of Home magazine, church cookbooks and this very similar recipe on Lil’ Luna.
Before I go any further, I should tell you, if you are not a fan of canned soups, then this isn’t the recipe for you. But if you’re willing to use a can once in a while, you won’t regret it.
I know growing up we always had cans of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken in the house. Now, I rarely buy it. But on occasion, you just can’t beat the classics.
Ingredients needed for Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
- frozen hash browns (for extra flavor, get the “O’brian” style cubed potatoes)
- cream of chicken
- cream of celery
- half and half
- cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar is perfect for this recipe!)
- salt and pepper
- cooked bacon
The appeal of this recipe is how quick and easy it is to toss together. For starters, you’re using frozen hash browns so there’s no need for peeling and dicing potatoes.
If you really want to keep it a complete one pot recipe (which can be made on the stovetop as well as the in the slow cooker) then use bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon fresh.
What to serve with cheesy potato soup
Because this soup is so hearty, you might want to pair it with something light like a salad or some steamed vegetables. I cook broccoli and/or cauliflower very quickly in my Crockpot Express.
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns we like O'brian style with peppers and onions
- 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery
- 1 pint half and half
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz bacon cooked and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter, 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns, 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken, 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery, 1 pint half and halfMelt butter and pour into crockpot. Add remaining ingredients (except cheese, bacon, salt and pepper).
- Cook in crockpot on high for 3-4 hours.
- 8 oz baconWhile soup is cooking, prepare bacon by cooking until crisp, draining on paper towels and crumbling into small pieces
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to tasteAdd 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper before serving. Use reserve cheese to sprinkle on top along with bacon pieces