This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Hearty and comforting, Easy Crockpot Potato Soup comes together quickly and tastes great!
I am not normally a fan of potato soup. Just ask my brother why. He will tell you this long sob story about how when we were kids, our parents made a $300 error in the checking account and we didn’t have any money to buy groceries.
To make up the loss, my mom had to make do for three weeks with whatever was in the refrigerator and pantry. By the end of those weeks, we’d had potato soup more than once, and it was NOT hearty and cheesy. It was pretty watery and gross, and we all hated it.
Now as a parent, I feel really bad for my poor mom. She DID manage to feed us for three weeks with no grocery budget whatsoever. Even if we ate a lot of saltine crackers and watery soup.
Anyway, this easy Crockpot Potato Soup is nothing like the soup I remember. It’s rich, hearty, creamy and tastes amazing when topped with bacon! I’ve seen it in an old Taste of Home magazine, church cookbooks and this very similar recipe on Lil’ Luna.
Before I go any further, I should tell you, if you are not a fan of canned soups, then this isn’t the recipe for you. But if you’re willing to use a can once in a while, you won’t regret it.
I know growing up we always had cans of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken in the house. Now, I rarely buy it. But on occasion, you just can’t beat the classics.
Ingredients needed for Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
- frozen hash browns (for extra flavor, get the “O’brian” style cubed potatoes)
- cream of chicken
- cream of celery
- half and half
- cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar is perfect for this recipe!)
- salt and pepper
- cooked bacon
The appeal of this recipe is how quick and easy it is to toss together. For starters, you’re using frozen hash browns so there’s no need for peeling and dicing potatoes.
If you really want to keep it a complete one pot recipe (which can be made on the stovetop as well as the in the slow cooker) then use bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon fresh.
What to serve with cheesy potato soup
Because this soup is so hearty, you might want to pair it with something light like a salad or some steamed vegetables. I cook broccoli and/or cauliflower very quickly in my Crockpot Express.
It also seems like you can’t have soup without bread of some kind, so try these Copycat Cheddar Bay Biscuits or maybe some easy Garlic Knots to go with your easy potato soup.
Easy Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns we like O'brian style with peppers and onions
- 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery
- 1 pint half and half
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz bacon cooked and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter, 1 32 oz package cubed frozen hash browns, 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken, 1 10.5 oz can cream of celery, 1 pint half and halfMelt butter and pour into crockpot. Add remaining ingredients (except cheese, bacon, salt and pepper).
- Cook in crockpot on high for 3-4 hours.
- 8 oz baconWhile soup is cooking, prepare bacon by cooking until crisp, draining on paper towels and crumbling into small pieces
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to tasteAdd 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper before serving. Use reserve cheese to sprinkle on top along with bacon pieces
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes - March 21, 2023
- Lemon Bundt Cake with Berries and Cream - March 3, 2023
- Crockpot Express Glazed Carrots - February 24, 2023
Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] says
I love potato soup, this looks great!
Joanne T Ferguson says
G’day YUM! Love winter soup and yours looks delish! Thx for sharing at my Say G’day party! All submissions pinned! Cheers! Joanne
Jenny B @ Honey and Birch says
Oh my gosh, I am a sucker for slow cooker anything, especially soup!!
Natalie @ Life Made Simple says
Yum! Potato soup is a family favorite… and this looks so easy and delicious, we’ll definitely be giving it a try!
Mommy on Demand says
One of our favorite soups! Love that you can make it i the crockpot!
Carolyn West says
My daughter has actually been asking me to make potato soup and I’ve never made it before. I love that you did this in the crock pot. Going on my dinner list. #client
Nicole Neverman says
This soup sounds so delicious, easy, and comforting! I am needing to use my slow cooker a lot now, as I’m lecturing undergrad uni students until 9 pm 3 days a week! This will be a lifesaver 🙂
peter @feedyoursoultoo says
Looks great and then the cheese and bacon.
This looks amazing, great winter soup!!