A classic comfort food, Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs is an easy one pot dinner!
One of the benefits of my large and active Facebook group, Crockpot Express Community, is the fantastic recipes that members share. Recently, a member posted this recipe for Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs, and I asked if I could post it here on the website because it’s SO GOOD! Thank you, Vanessa Casares!
Can I use frozen meatballs instead?
I’m all for quick and easy meals, so often I post recipes using shortcuts like frozen meatballs. And yes, you certainly CAN use frozen meatballs for this recipe. However, making them from scratch isn’t hard, and the flavor is just so much better overall. Give it a try, at least!
If you’re going to use frozen meatballs, simply skip the first steps and go straight to adding the broth and noodles to the pot.
There’s a lot of flavor that comes from searing the meatballs. You get the benefit of all those juices and bits of cooked meat on the bottom of the pot. I had a friend test this in an Instant Pot as well (hence the stainless steel pot in the photo) but it’s even easier to scrape off the bottom when using the CPE!
After deglazing the pot, you add the noodles and broth for pressure cooking. Then the final step is adding all the creamy ingredients that give Swedish Meatballs their unique and yummy flavor. Everything is done right there in the same pot, making Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs a perfect weeknight dinner.
What should I serve with Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs?
Who needs IKEA when you can make this bowl of goodness at home? Serve with some crusty bread and a big green salad for a delicious meal. If you’re hoping for a more creative side dish, check out this post with 50 Side Dish Ideas.
Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large bowl, mix the meatball ingredients together and form into small balls (should make 18-20 meatballs)
- Press Brown/Sauté (and then Start/Stop) and melt 2 tbsp of butter. Place half the meatballs in the pot and brown nicely on each side. Place on a plate and cook the other half. When those are done remove and place on a plate. Press Start/Stop to cancel the sauté mode.
- Using some of the broth, deglaze the pot and scrape up any burnt bits. Stir in the parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Place the meatballs back in the pot followed by the noodles. Pour the remaining broth and place the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in small pieces on top.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release valve to closed. Press Steam and set for 4 minutes (high pressure) and press Start/Stop. When the cooking cycle is done, do a quick release.
- While that is cooking, whisk the heavy cream and cornstarch together. Open lid, press Start/Stop to turn off Keep Warm mode and switch back to Brown/Sauté. Pour in the cream and whisked corn starch, add the sour cream and stir. Once the sauce has thickened you’re ready to eat!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! I have an entire page dedicated to more great Crockpot Express Recipes if you’re looking for new ideas.