This party favorite can be a last minute addition to your menu since they cook in 5 minutes! Crockpot Express Meatballs are a sweet and tangy addition to any party spread.
This recipe has been around for ages, and is sure to be found in every church cookbook in America. Typically it’s a slow cooker recipe, but recently I decided to convert it to Crockpot Express Meatballs.
Honestly, the only change I needed to make from the original recipe, Sweet and Tangy Meatballs, was to thin the sauce out just a bit for pressure cooking. You can use water or broth to do that-either one works great. Who needs a slow cooker when you can make them in 5 minutes?!?
The actual recipe amounts will differ depending on how many meatballs you want to cook. For this recipe I used 16 oz. of frozen meatballs. If you want to do a larger batch, you don’t need to increase the cook time at all. Just increase the sauce ingredients, keeping the ratios even.
Can I make Crockpot Express Meatballs using homemade meatballs instead?
You can definitely make these from scratch if you have a meatball recipe you love. My Crockpot Express Swedish Meatballs would be a good starting point if you wanted to do that. Just do the initial cooking using Brown/Saute and then set them aside and follow the recipe below.
It’s totally OK to do a quick release when making Crockpot Express Meatballs. However, if you are making a large batch, be careful when you start the release. Some of the sauce may be too close to the release valve and you could end up with a spluttering mess.
Just give it a short burst to see if the steam will release cleanly. If it’s a little “splattery” then release the pressure in short, quick bursts. I have no issues with this recipe size, but it’s something to be aware of if you’re making five pounds of meatballs versus one.
You can make these sweet and tangy meatballs into a full meal by serving them over rice or even noodles. However, I typically serve them as an appetizer. Set out some toothpicks and you’re good to go. If you want to get REALLY fancy, you can skewer them yourself and add a pineapple chunk to each one!
Crockpot Express Meatballs
- 16 oz frozen meatballs or cooked homemade meatballs
- 1/4 cup chili sauce I use Heinz
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- 2 tbsp water or broth
- Place the frozen meatballs in the bottom of the pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chili sauce, grape jelly and water or broth, until most of the chunks are smoothed out and the sauce is easy to pour.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Gently stir so that they are all coated evenly. Close and lock the lid, turning the steam release valve to closed.
- Press Steam (high pressure) and adjust the time down to 5 minutes. Press Start/Stop.
- When the cooking cycle has ended, open the steam release valve to do a quick release. Open the lid, stir the sauce to coat the meatballs and then remove to a bowl. Serve immediately.
- Sauce with thicken and get sticky as it cools
- If using homemade meatballs, be sure to sear first on Brown/Saute. Then follow directions as listed.
- Serve over rice or noodles for a complete meal
- Serve with toothpicks for an easy appetizer
If you have a second pot, make a batch of white rice to go along with your Crockpot Express Meatballs!