With a creamy, molten chocolate core, Crockpot Express S’mores Lava Cake is a decadent dessert that’s surprisingly easy to make!
Lava Cake is one of those throwback recipes similar to fondue or jello molds. But I don’t see how anything with a molten chocolate center can ever go out of style, really. Besides, I was just watching an episode of Food Network’s Spring Baking Championship and they had an entire challenge devoted to making lava cakes! I decided it was time to give it a try in the pressure cooker, but added a twist and came up with Crockpot Express S’mores Lava Cake.
These chocolate lava cakes have the typical molten center, but with the addition of marshmallow creme inside and on top, they go from old-fashioned to AMAZING. There’s just a hint of graham cracker in each bite, and the gooey marshmallow gives me heart eyes. <3 Serve them up with a glass of milk for a rich and decadent summer dessert.
I started with a basic chocolate lava cake recipe from Eazy Peazy Mealz that I changed just a bit (I prefer using baking chocolate bars like Baker’s to regular chocolate chips) and then I played around with the recipe a few times to create the S’mores Lava Cake that’s perfect for making in the Crockpot Express.
This recipe makes a total of 4 lava cakes if using the standard 6 ounce ramekins. You don’t really want to do more than that at once, or the cooking time and quality of the cakes changes. You really don’t want to make fewer than that, either. Four seems to be the magic number, at least in all the different versions I tested. 🙂
For best results, serve the Crockpot Express S’mores Lava Cake right away. You can reheat and serve them later, but the texture changes a bit with microwaving and the molten center will cook through. You’ll end up with just a basic chocolate cake. (Which isn’t terrible, but it’s not what we’re going for here, right?)
Crockpot Express S'mores Lava Cake
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar chopped (I like Bakers chocolate)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp graham cracker crumbs plus extra for topping
- 4 tbsp marshmallow creme plus extra for topping
- Add butter and chocolate to a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals, stirring well between each time. (1-1 1/2 minutes will be enough.) Stir until completely smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and stir until smooth again.
- Add eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and salt, stirring to combine.
- Stir in flour and graham cracker crumbs.
- Spray (4) 6 ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Fill 1/3 of the way and then add a scoop (about 1 tbsp) of marshmallow creme in the center of the batter. Top with additional batter until each ramekin is full to the line. Don't overfill, as they do puff up a bit when cooking. There may be a bit of batter left in the bowl, depending on how much marshmallow creme you use.
- Place trivet in the pot and add 1 cup of water. Set 3 ramekins down on the trivet and then set the last one on top.
- Close and lock the lid, turning the steam release valve to closed. Press Steam and adjust time down to 8 minutes. Press Start/Stop.
- When cooking cycle is done, do a quick release and carefully remove the ramekins. (I used tongs for this.) Let them cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Invert the ramekins onto a plate and let the cake slide out. Top with additional marshmallow creme and graham cracker crumbs. Serve immediately!
The fact that you can have a cake made from scratch and ready to eat about 30 minutes from start to finish is pretty cool. My boys happily gobbled up all the different test versions of this recipe. The spongy outer layer holds up well against the gooey insides and the semi-sweet chocolate is just perfection. Try it. You’re gonna love it.
If you like s’mores as much as I do, you’ll want to check out more than just Crockpot Express S’mores Lava Cake! I have quite a list of past recipes featuring the delicious combination of graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows!
Don’t forget to pin this for later!
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Twice Baked Potatoes - January 24, 2020
- Chicken Tortilla Soup: slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe - January 14, 2020
- Crockpot Express Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans - January 2, 2020