Craving pumpkin pie but don’t have the time or appetite for a whole one? With a sweet crust and comforting warm spices, Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites taste just like the real thing, but are done in minutes!
October is here and we’re celebrating with all things pumpkin! My husband is the pumpkin pie lover in our house. I’m actually not a huge fan of pie in general, so I go for apple desserts, or “alternative” pumpkin desserts like these Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites. They’re just the right size for me!
This fall my Crockpot Express is getting a workout. Here are some of my favorite Crockpot Express Recipes for fall:
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Puree
- How to Cook Squash in the Crockpot Express
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Cake
- Crockpot Express Apple Crisp
- Crockpot Express Dulce de Leche
Can I use fresh pumpkin?
For these pumpkin pie bites, you can use canned pumpkin or your own fresh pumpkin puree. It’s a small recipe that doesn’t require much pumpkin, so if you’re only making the bites, it’s probably smart to just buy a small can of pumpkin puree.
However, if you’ve made puree from a pumpkin, this is a great way to use up that last bit that may be hanging around in the fridge!
Can I make Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites without a crust?
Absolutely! I tried these three different ways. I made them with crushed ginger snaps as a crumbly crust, with golden Oreo thins and without any crust at all. I love the strong flavor that gets added with ginger snaps. It just tastes so much like Thanksgiving or Christmas to me!
The Oreo thins are perfect because they fit perfectly in the mold (these are the molds I use from Amazon) and just make it so easy! Plus, they add just a hint of sweetness to the pumpkin.
But if you don’t want to bother with a crust at all, that works, too! It just makes them a little harder to pick up and eat with your hands. (Honestly, using a fork or spoon works best with these anyway.)
One thing to note: the bites will rise up and puff out of the molds just a bit, but don’t worry! As soon as you place the mold in the refrigerator or freezer to chill, they drop back down.
Don’t try to mess with them while they are still warm, or you’ll have a mess on your hands. Just let them chill and settle and you’ll have nice little domes of pumpkin pie. 🙂
Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 10 tbsp sweetened condensed milk (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or mix your own-see notes below
- 7 Golden Oreo Thins or ginger snaps or vanilla wafer cookies
- In a medium bowl with a pour spout, whisk together the egg and pumpkin puree.
- Add the condensed milk and pumpkin pie spice and whisk until blended together.
- Spray an egg bites mold with cooking spray and then carefully pour the mixture into the mold, dividing evenly between the cups. (filled about 3/4 of the way)
- Top the mixture in each mold with a cookie. Cover lightly with foil.
- Add one cup of water to the inner pot and then place the trivet inside. Place the egg bites mold on top of the trivet. Close and lock the lid, turning the steam release valve to closed.
- Press Steam and then Start/Stop. (High pressure, 10 minutes) Allow a full NPR after the cooking cycle is done. (10-15 minutes)
- Remove the mold from the pot and place in the refrigerator to chill (if you're in a hurry you can use the freezer- just keep an eye on it so it doesn't freeze!) Be sure to chill thoroughly to make it easier to remove the bites from the mold.
- Flip the bites out of the mold onto a plate, pressing down in the center to help pop them out. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
See more great fall recipes like this one on Meal Plan Monday!