Serve the vegetables and dip all together with this easy and delicious Cool Veggie Pizza. It’s a great appetizer!
I liked this Cool Veggie Pizza so much, I made it twice in the same week! Granted, I may have been influenced by the fact that I didn’t get any pictures of it the first time but it really was good enough to eat twice.
I found this in an old church cookbook and it was so easy AND delicious I had to share it with you! Church cookbooks are one of my favorite places to find recipes. Sometimes they are maddeningly vague- “add spices.” Spices? WHAT spices? How many and how much of each?!? Most of the time, however, I find little nuggets of goodness.
A simple appetizer like Cool Veggie Pizza is a good example of church cookbook fare. It’s easy to bring and share, which is the heart of every potluck. Something like this recipe is great because you don’t have to worry about keeping it warm for serving!
Any hearty vegetable is perfect for this appetizer. I used carrots, cucumbers and broccoli on this pizza. I have also used cauliflower, red, green and yellow bell peppers and olives. Use whatever veggies you love!
There are lots of flavored cream cheese spreads that will taste great as well. Whipped cream cheese is the easiest to spread and comes in several veggie-friendly flavors.
Bake the crust, add the spread, top with raw vegetables and then season with a little salt and pepper. Done!
If you’re asked to bring a salad or appetizer for the next potluck, make Cool Veggie Pizza. For dessert, try this delicious Rhodes Rolls Fruit Pizza. It’s another family favorite.
Cool Veggie Pizza
- 1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent roll dough (or the seamless dough sheet)
- 1 tub (8 oz) whipped cream cheese with chives
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 carrots cut
- 1 cucumber sliced
- Remove dough from can and place on pizza round. Press seams together and "shape" dough into a rough circle.
- Bake according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- Spread with cream cheese, close to the edges.
- Top with fresh veggies and refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice with pizza cutter. Yummy!
- use any flavor of whipped cream cheese spread
- separate veggies into sections on the pizza to create a colorful wheel
- use a rolling pin or glass dusted in flour to roll out the dough into a pizza shape
- keep any leftovers refrigerated
Over the years, I’ve shared several other recipes from church cookbooks. Here are a few of my favorites: