Stacked with layers of delicious taco meat, beans and cheese, Crockpot Express Taco Pie is an easy dinner your whole family will love!
The other day I was sharing an old recipe called Mexican Pie and someone in my CPE Community group on Facebook suggested that I try it in the Crockpot Express. Since the temperature outside suddenly jumped from the low 80’s to over 100, I decided it would be a great day to test out Crockpot Express Taco Pie and avoid using the oven!
I suppose you could also called this Mexican Lasagna, but since it’s round and sliced in triangles like pie, I went with Taco Pie. Burrito Pie would be more correct, probably, but that doesn’t really roll off the tongue. 🙂
This yummy dinner is made of layers of tortillas, a delicious meat mixture, beans and cheese. Basically all the flavors my family loves. When you top it off with guacamole and sour cream, it’s a delicious one pot meal. (Two if you opt to prep the meat mixture in a skillet on the stove instead of in the pot.) Either way, it’s definitely going on my list of favorite Crockpot Express Recipes!
I used a 7″ springform pan to make this Crockpot Express Taco Pie. There was actually enough leftover filling to make another pie to freeze and use later. I’ll just bake that one in the oven from frozen to keep it from getting too soggy, though.
My family of 5, including boys who eat like adults, said that one pie wasn’t quite enough for dinner. I will probably be getting a second pan (I’ve had my eye on this Fat Daddio’s pan) so I can make a second one while the first one is cooling.
This recipe is enough for making two Taco Pies. It will make 8 servings if you cook both of them, or freeze one and make the other for 4 large servings instead.
Crockpot Express Taco Pie
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and diced
- 1 can Mexi-corn
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can refried beans 15 oz
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- 10 flour tortillas
- In a skillet or in the pot on Brown/Saute, brown the beef with the onion and garlic. Drain the fat, if necessary. Add the corn, 2 tbsp taco seasoning and beef broth. Simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the pot and place in a large bowl.
- On medium heat (low if using Brown/Saute) add the flour to the empty pot. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue cooking until the sauce is thickened. Add the meat mixture back into the skillet/pot with the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl (use the same one that you used for the meat mixture,) mix the refried beans, tomato sauce and 1 tbsp taco seasoning until blended well.
- In a 7" springform pan, layer: tortilla, meat mixture, tortilla, bean mixture, cheese, tortilla, etc. until the pan is full. Top with cheese and cover with foil. Repeat in another pan for the second pie. Place the second pie in the freezer if you don't plan to cook it right away.
- Add 1 cup water to the pot. Using a trivet with handles, lower the pan into the pot. Close and lock the lid, turning the steam release valve to closed. Press Steam and adjust time down to 5 minutes. Press Start/Stop.
- When cooking timer is done, flip the steam release valve open to do a quick pressure release. Lift out the pan and let it set for 5-10 minutes. Cook the second pie while the first one sets. Unlatch the pan and remove the outside. Slice like pie and serve with guacamole, sour cream, salsa or whatever you like!
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019
- Fun Halloween Recipes for Kids - September 26, 2019