This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
A creamy chocolate pudding layer is sandwiched between light and airy marshmallow mint layers to create these delicious Creme de Menthe Bars.
Call me old-fashioned, but I really like to find recipe inspiration from old magazines and cookbooks. In day to day life, I most often pull up recipes on my phone, but when searching for something new like these Creme de Menthe bars, I’m flipping through old editions of Taste of Home.
For me, chocolate and mint feel like holiday flavors. Maybe it’s because my mom always kept a candy plate with Andes mints on the counter during Christmas? When I read through the ingredients for Creme de Menthe bars, I knew I would need to try them this season!
Confession: I didn’t realize that creme de menthe contains alcohol! I thought it was a flavored syrup, and went looking for it in the baking aisle. When I couldn’t find it anywhere, I looked it up online and realized I would need to look in the liquor aisle. Oops.
However, there is a perfectly good non-alcoholic substitute. Torani sells Creme de Menthe flavored syrup. You can usually find something like that with the coffee syrups, at a specialty store, or online. This is the syrup I have from Amazon.
The only con about this recipe is the fact that it’s rather labor intensive. None of the steps are difficult, but because you’re working in layers, it takes time and lots of dishes. However, the clean layers hold up so nicely and pretty pale green color makes it worth the effort. (Not to mention how yummy they are!)
The recipe is small (made in an 8×8″ pan) but it’s rich and you don’t need much to be satisfied. It’s a perfect addition to any holiday table!
Creme de Menthe Bars
- 1 1/4 cups finely crushed Oreo cookies about 14 cookies
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups cold 2% milk divided
- 20 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup green creme de menthe syrup
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 pkg (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Reserve 3 tablespoons for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold milk; let stand 1 minute. Microwave on high for 30-40 seconds. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add marshmallows; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed; stir until smooth. Stir in creme de menthe. Refrigerate 15-20 minutes or until cold but not set, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gradually beat cream cheese until smooth. In another bowl, whisk pudding mix and remaining cold milk (1 1/4 cups). Gradually beat into cream cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form; fold into marshmallow mixture. Spoon half of the mixture over prepared crust; refrigerate 10 minutes. Layer with pudding mixture and remaining marshmallow mixture; top with reserved crumbs. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- Chill layers in the freezer to shorten preparation time
- Use a food processor to get the Oreos crushed into a fine crust (I did not this time and ended up with a crumbly crust because the pieces were too large)
If you love the combination of chocolate and mint, you’ll probably like these recipes, too!