This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
One of our family’s favorite recipes, One Pot Pasta is both easy and delicious. Make it either on the stove top or in the pressure cooker for a meal ready in less than 30 minutes!
ONE POT. Do you know what that means? You can cook an entire meal in ONE pan. Even the pasta-it cooks in the sauce with everything else! This came together in under 30 minutes and was wolfed down by my husband and boys. I was so happy with how this came together! Oh-and it’s cheap. Check. Check. Check. Added to the menu rotation: One Pot Pasta.
I originally posted this back in 2014, and now I’ve updated it with instructions for the Crockpot Express (or Instant Pot) as well. I knew a meal that was already quick and easy on the stove top would translate well to a pressure cooker. It took a couple tries to figure out how to convert the recipe, but I’ve got it down now. The prep and cook time is probably very close to doing it in a skillet, but being able to just throw it in the pot and walk away is so handy!
One Pot Pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage sliced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth Use reduced sodium to cut the saltiness
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz dry pasta bow-tie or rotini works well
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese (divided)
- 1/3 cup green onion sliced
Stove top instructions:
- In a large skillet with lid (oven safe) heat olive oil on medium-high heat, add onion, cooking until lightly browned. Add sausage and cook approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta and spices and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet and reduce heat to simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Top with remaining cheese & green onion, broil slightly until cheese is melted and you have a nice little "crust".
- If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, transfer to a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray and then broil, or toss the cover back on more a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Crockpot Express (pressure cooker) instructions:
- Using the Brown/Saute function on high, heat olive oil, add onion, cooking until lightly browned. Add sausage and cook approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook additional 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese, cover and press Steam (manual, high pressure for Instant Pots) and adjust the time to 5 minutes. After the cooking time is up, allow to naturally release for 3 minutes and then do a quick release to finish it up.
- Open the lid, sprinkle with cheese and recover for a minute or so to melt the cheese. Stir well and serve with crusty bread!
Guess what? It’s just as good the next day for lunch. It’s hard to mess this recipe up. You can adjust it to suit your tastes and you’ll still get a very hearty and comforting meal. Serve it with salad and a loaf of crusty bread for a fantastic family meal.
This is another one of our favorite “one pot” recipes!
Post updated 2/1/18