These Chocolate Strawberry Blondies are perfect for any celebration! The sweet cookie dough base is full of chocolaty goodness and the strawberries on top keep it fresh and a little tart. Strawberries and chocolate belong together any time of the year!
Blondies are a strange creation. They are, in essence, the opposite of a Brownie, which is where the name comes from. But to me, a Blondie is just a giant cookie. At least they taste just like a cookie bar-the ingredients are essentially the same. That must be why I like them so much. I was looking for something new to bring to dessert fellowship at church, and I found Strawberry Blondies from The Kitchn. However, everything’s better with chocolate and it’s almost Valentine’s Day, so I tweaked it a little to make these Chocolate Strawberry Blondies instead.
For some reason, it does seem odd to have strawberries on a cookie bar, but it works! The juices sink down into the bar and there’s just enough tart flavor to balance the sweetness. There are so many chocolate and strawberry desserts floating around for Valentine’s Day, but it’s not exactly strawberry season yet! I tested this with frozen strawberries and they worked great. I do want to try them again in the summer with fresh strawberries and some creamy white chocolate.
Chocolate Strawberry Blondies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate candies
- 1 cup strawberries halved and hulled
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, overhanging the sides slightly for easy removal later. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix together melted butter and brown sugar until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until completely combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined. Don't over mix. Fold in chocolate candies.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and press down gently to even it out. Gently press strawberry halves into the top and add a few extra candies as well.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs. Cool completely and then slice into squares!
Because I’m a fan of anything that even resembles a cookie, I really liked these. 🙂 I wasn’t sure about the strawberries, but I was willing to give it a shot, and I’m glad I did! Try this for a special Valentine’s Day dessert or switch out the colors for another holiday, like July 4th.
More cookie recipes:
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019
- Fun Halloween Recipes for Kids - September 26, 2019