This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Sitting on top of a layer of caramel and pecans, this no bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie is a delicious twist on a holiday classic.
My poor husband. He just wants a plain old piece of pumpkin pie. Unfortunately for him, I’m not really a fan of pumpkin pie, unless it’s buried in whipped cream.
As a matter of fact, I have a collection of One Dozen Alternatives to Pumpkin Pie that I put together for Thanksgiving because I know I’m not the only one who might prefer a different dessert.
This delicious recipe came from Kraft foods and I found it on the back of a pudding box once. I’m so glad I saved it, because it’s the perfect easy fall dessert!
Ingredients needed for Turtle Pumpkin Pie:
- caramel ice cream topping-or make your own easy homemade caramel sauce
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- chopped pecans
- vanilla instant pudding
- canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)-or make your own pumpkin puree in the pressure cooker
- OR replace the cinnamon and nutmeg with your own pumpkin pie spice substitute and punch up the flavors a bit
- whipped topping-did you know you can make your own Homemade Cool Whip?
- Heath toffee bits, optional but you really should try it 🙂
Pour caramel sauce into a prepared graham cracker crust and top with pecans. (Be sure to save some of each for topping later!)
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, pumpkin, spices and milk.
Add the whipped topping and mix until blended together. Don’t mix too aggressively-you can fold in the whipped topping with a spatula if you don’t want to lose too much air/fluffiness. 🙂
Scoop the pumpkin mixture into the prepared pie crust and top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with additional pecan pieces and toffee bits.
Chill at least one hour and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Turtle Pumpkin Pie
- 1 6-8 oz graham cracker crust
- 6 Tablespoons caramel ice cream topping divided (1/4 cup for the crust, 2 Tbsp for topping)
- 10 Tablespoons chopped pecans divided (1/2 cup for crust plus 2 Tbsp for topping)
- 2 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 8 oz carton whipped topping thawed, divided
- 1/4 cup Heath toffee bits optional
- 6 Tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, 1 6-8 oz graham cracker crust, 10 Tablespoons chopped pecansPour 1/4 cup caramel topping onto bottom of pie crust; sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts.
- 2 3.4 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding mix, 1 cup cold milk, 1 cup canned pumpkin, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmegWhisk together the next 5 ingredients in large bowl until blended.
- 1 8 oz carton whipped toppingStir in 1-1/2 cups whipped topping; spoon into crust.
- 6 Tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, 1/4 cup Heath toffee bits, 10 Tablespoons chopped pecansRefrigerate for 1 hour. Top with remaining whipped topping, caramel topping and nuts or toffee bits just before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Post updated 11/23