Get cozy with a warm cup of the creamiest cocoa ever! Crockpot Express Hot Chocolate is easy to make and perfect for serving at holiday parties!
If you could turn a chocolate cookie into a delicious, creamy drink, this would be it. Or maybe it’s a liquified chocolate cake. Either way, this Crockpot Express Hot Chocolate is the perfect way to get cozy on cold winter nights!
Over the years I’ve tried a few different recipes for hot cocoa, but they always seemed to be watery and lacking that punch of chocolate flavor I was craving. I started searching for recipes made in the pressure cooker, and that got my creative juices flowing.
I purposely created a recipe that is large enough to serve at a party. I kept finding recipes for a few servings, or single cup servings, but this is something you’re going to want to share, trust me.
You can make this Creamy Hot Chocolate in the slow cooker if you don’t have a pressure cooker, but I love how quick and easy it was to make in my Crockpot Express. Just dump in all the ingredients, turn it on and walk away! When it’s all done you’ll need to give it a good stir and then the Keep Warm feature will hold the cocoa at perfect drinking temperature.
The best part of hot chocolate is all the yummy toppings. Add marshmallows or some crushed peppermint for a traditional Christmas flavor. You can also sprinkle in some cinnamon or nutmeg if you like a little spice in your chocolate. And don’t forget the whipped cream (although this hot chocolate is already SO creamy.)
How do I make this in the slow cooker instead of a pressure cooker?
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can still make Crockpot Express Hot Chocolate in your slow cooker! Simply add the ingredients and then cook on low for 2 hours. At the one hour mark, give it a good stir to mix the chocolate in with the cream and then cover and allow to finish cooking. You can switch it to “keep warm” after that.
Crockpot Express Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups whole milk
- 4 cups (1 qt) heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups milk chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
- 1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients to the inner pot. Stir to mix. Close and lock the lid, turning the steam release valve to closed.
- Set for 3 minutes on Steam (high pressure.) Allow for a full NPR. This will take about 45 minutes because the pot is so full.
- After the pressure is completely released, carefully open. It will be quite frothy and bubbly inside, so be careful! With a silicone whisk, stir until any remaining chunks are lifted from the bottom and mixed completely smooth.
- Allow to cool a bit with the lid off before serving. Leave on Keep Warm. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Use high quality, full fat milk and cream for the creamiest and thickest results
- Use good quality chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli brand chips)
- This is rich, so even 4 ounces would be good for a serving.
- Remember, it's Christmas. The calories don't count. 😉
If you’re going to be serving directly from your pot, be sure to use a silicone ladle like this one so you don’t ruin your non-stick coating! Speaking of non-stick coating, that’s a GREAT reason to use your CPE over the slow cooker or anything else. The clean up for this recipe is so much easier than it would be in any other appliance!
If you’re preparing a Beverage Bar, check out these simple tips and yummy stir-in recipes!
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup: slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe - January 14, 2020
- Crockpot Express Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans - January 2, 2020
- The Best of 2019: Reader Favorites - December 28, 2019