An easy topper makes these Christmas Tree Cupcakes perfect for bringing to school or work parties.
One of the easiest things to prepare for a party is cupcakes. Most people like cake, and cupcakes are so easy to transport. The very best part in my opinion, is what you choose put on top! Right now I’m loving these Christmas Tree Cupcakes. The little trees are so easy to make and you can customize them so many different ways.
I like to collect sprinkles and candy embellishments all year long so my pantry is stuffed with options when it comes to decorating. I kind of have a thing for cute cupcakes. 😉
There are several more on my site, but you get the idea. If you just search “cupcake” in the search bar, it will pull up several more recipes. I just love doing something special for the different seasons. But back to the Christmas Tree Cupcakes now!
Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. A boxed mix is totally fine. These are supposed to be quick and easy for the hectic holiday season, right? You’ll also need candy melts, sprinkles (I used gold and silver), candy stars and small pretzel sticks.
Follow the instructions for your cupcake recipe. Be sure not to fill the cups too full! 2/3 of the way full is best to keep them from getting too round and full on top.
Melt the candy melts in 15 second intervals in the microwave. It can be tricky to get candy melts that match the icing. This is Ghiradelli white candy melts and I used Pillsbury classic vanilla frosting. If you don’t want to bother with matching, classic green trees look great, too!
Dip each pretzel in chocolate and place on wax paper. Pour the remaining melted chocolate into a piping bag with a very fine tip or just use a plastic baggie with the corner snipped off.
Starting at the top of the pretzel, pipe a Christmas tree shape, back and forth, onto each pretzel. Before it hardens, add sprinkles and a candy star to the top! These are similar to the Wilton candy stars I used.
Allow the trees to cool and harden (about 15 minutes.) Then carefully remove them from the paper and place on top of your frosted cupcakes!
Tips for making Christmas Tree Cupcakes:
- Matching the color of the icing to candy melts can be difficult. For this recipe, I used Pillsbury classic vanilla and Ghiradelli white chocolate melts for the trees.
- Apply the frosting in a thin layer so that the pretzel can reach the cupcake. If there is too much frosting, the tree will likely tip backwards.
- These are best consumed within 48 hours-we found the pretzels got a little stale on day 3.
- Have fun with colors! These trees also look great in classic green with colorful sprinkles.
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cupcake mix plus ingredients called for in recipe
- 1 tub (16 oz) Vanilla Icing
- 24 small stick pretzels
- 1 cup white candy melts or white melting chocolates
- Variety of sprinkles
- Bake the cupcakes according to package directions. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Using a piping bag and star tip, apply the frosting from the outside inwards in a swirling pattern. Use sprinkles, if desired and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet or tray with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave in 15 second intervals, until completely melted.
- Dip each pretzel in the melted chocolate, then place on the wax paper.
- Pour the remaining chocolate into a piping bag with a fine tip, or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off.
- Starting at the top of the pretzel, pipe a Christmas tree shape, back and forth, onto each pretzel. Top with desired sprinkles and set aside to cool. The chocolate should be solid within 15 minutes. You can place the tray in the refrigerator to speed things up.
- Remove each tree from the paper and place through the icing, into the cupcake.
They are so pretty and so easy to make, right? I also love that they taste delicious! It’s always best if you can keep your cupcake toppers edible. At least that’s what all the Food TV judges say. 🙂
If you’re looking for more ideas for fun or beautiful Christmas cupcakes, check out this collection of Christmas Cupcakes that will steal the show!