Look at me. Two healthy recipes in a row! It’s almost like I’m trying to lose weight and forcing you to come along on the journey with me! 😉
Don’t worry, there will still be ample opportunity for me to create and share junk with you. But don’t let the fact that these oatmeal breakfast bars are healthy turn you off! They are chewy, a little sweet and very satisfying. I brought them to Sunday School and there were only a couple left when I got home. I would call that another clean eating success!
This recipe was shared in the Facebook group I’m part of for this 8 week challenge. I adjusted it to make it much smaller, because I wasn’t sure I would like them. This recipe will make 20 bars. If you store them in the refrigerator they will stay fresher longer, but they don’t need to be refrigerated. They also freeze well, so if you make a big batch you’ll have a great grab-and-go option for snacking!
Chewy Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil no other oil can be substituted
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- Stir together all the ingredients in a large bowl and make sure the oats are evenly coated. I warmed the coconut oil slightly so it was liquid and easier to mix evenly.
- Press evenly into a 2 quart baking dish. The thickness will be similar to a brownie.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into 20 bars.