This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Add these breakfast bites to your morning and start the day with long-lasting energy!
We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Until recently, I ignored that thought completely. In our house, breakfast=cereal. It’s quick and easy and the boys are happy. However, it’s only “part of complete breakfast” as the commercials used to say. 🙂 I’ve made it my mission to find things to add to our favorite breakfast options so we are all full of energy for the day ahead!
I had pinned some hash brown breakfast bites a while ago and they got me thinking and creating. What about all the flavors of breakfast in a muffin cup? I played around with ingredients and cook times, and I think by the third try I ended up with a winner here! (It was a busy, messy morning.) These Southwestern Breakfast Bites are a fun breakfast and easy to feed to a crowd.
Southwestern Breakfast Bites
- 3/4 cup O'Brian style frozen potatoes thawed
- 2 slices of bacon cooked and chopped (or use bacon bits)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cheddar cheese grated finely
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease the sides and bottom of a muffin tin (6 muffin cups)
- Place a layer of potato mix on the bottom of each cup. Don't add too much or they won't cook properly.
- Bake the potatoes at 400 for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook, drain and chop the bacon. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside.
- Pull the potatoes out of the oven and reduce the heat to 350. Sprinkle the potatoes with bacon, and pour enough egg in each cup to cover the bacon and potatoes. You should have just enough to fill six cups.
- Sprinkle each cup with cheese and then bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until the eggs aren't jiggly anymore.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Just a couple of notes: if you’ve never heard of potatoes O’Brian, they are in the frozen section near the hash browns and tater tots. They are just diced potatoes with onions and peppers. You REALLY need to use these instead of plain potatoes because they add such a great layer of flavor to the small cups. You could also substitute any breakfast meat, like ham or sausage. I wrote this recipe small-it will make 6 Southwestern breakfast bites. If you want to feed more people, just double away!
If you like these breakfast bites, I’ll bet you love these other breakfast recipes!
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes - March 21, 2023
- Lemon Bundt Cake with Berries and Cream - March 3, 2023
- Crockpot Express Glazed Carrots - February 24, 2023
Chrystal M. says
You have so many great things here on 365!
Nicole Burkholder says
You’re so kind 🙂 Thank Pinterest (i.e. other bloggers) for most of the inspiration!
A Life From Scratch says
Thank you so much for visiting A Life From Scratch…! Let me know if you try out the skillet lasagna – it’s awesome 🙂 Your breakfast bites look amazing – I love the south – and the west! Perfect combo.