This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Lemon Bread is a sweet and tangy treat perfect for breakfast, tea time or dessert!
Spending extra time at home means spending extra time in the kitchen. At least it does for me! And if I’m going to be in there, I would rather be baking something tasty like this easy Lemon Bread recipe.
Living in southern California, we are blessed with all sorts of citrus pretty much year round. I had several lemons from a friend just sitting in my fruit bowl waiting to be enjoyed. I made Lemon Shake-Ups for the kids for lunch and then took the rest to make this easy Lemon Bread.
I found this recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook that I pull out from time to time. While it’s called a quick bread, its texture is almost like cake. It’s lighter and less dense than banana bread, for instance. I could still slice it and eat it like bread, but it felt more natural to eat it with a fork.
The thing that sets this Lemon Bread apart, though, is the delicious lemon glaze that gets poured all over the top! It soaks down into the bread while it’s still warm, and you’re rewarded with a satisfying “pucker” when you take a bite.
Whether you enjoy a slice for breakfast (it goes great with a cup of tea!) or top it with ice cream for dessert, Lemon Bread is sure to be a hit in your house. It lasted about 37 minutes in mine. 😉
Other recipes for lemon lovers
While you’ve got the juicer and grater out, try another recipe featuring fresh lemons! Here are some of my favorites:
- Classic Lemon Bars
- Crockpot Express Lemon Curd (this is the easiest way to make lemon curd, hands down!)
- Berries and Cream Lemon Bundt Cake
Lemon Bread with Lemon Glaze
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed is best
- 2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed is best
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom and 1/2 up the sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the beaten egg, milk, cooking oil and lemon juice. Add the wet mixture all at once to the dry. Stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy.) Fold in the lemon peel.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- While the bread is baking, stir together the lemon juice and sugar for the glaze.
- Brush onto the finished loaf while it is still in the pan (right after removing from the oven.) Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling. Wrap and store overnight before serving for best results.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!