This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
The perfect combination of tart and sweet, Classic Lemon Bars are a great springtime dessert! Serve them with Mother’s Day brunch or a baby shower!
We live in California, which is the top producer for lemons in the the US. I’m pretty sure some of our church members are contributing to that number. Right now the trees are bursting with fruit! Every time I go to church, I come home with a bag of lemons from someone’s tree. These Classic Lemon Bars are a great way to enjoy the tart and delicious fruit.
You really don’t need a lot of ingredients for lemon bars, which makes them a great last minute recipe for bringing to events like Mother’s Day brunch, tea, baby showers or summer BBQ’s! Butter, flour, powdered sugar, salt, sugar, eggs and lemons are all you need.
In a large bowl, combine flour, melted butter, powdered sugar, and salt to make the crust. Bake for 20 minutes.
While the crust is baking, slightly beat eggs in another mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice until combined, then pour the mixture over the baked crust. Return to the oven to bake!
Dust with powdered sugar and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Doesn’t your mouth pucker just a little bit looking at this treat? Classic lemon bars are an old favorite for good reason!
Classic Lemon Bars
- 1 cup butter melted (2 sticks)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest and powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9x13 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter, flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Slightly mix with a fork. Do not over mix. Gently press into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.
- While the crust is baking, slightly beat eggs in another mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice until combined.
- Pour lemon mixture into baked crust as soon as it comes out of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil, and bake another 15 minutes.
- After the lemon bars are baked, dust with powdered sugar and let the bars cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with lemon zest before serving if desired.
If you’re looking for another way to use up fresh lemons, try a delicious Lemon Shake Up!