This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Edible (egg free) cookie dough that’s battered and deep fried to crunchy perfection! Deep Fried Cookie Dough is a county fair treat you can make right at home.
Raise your hand if you’ve been to the county fair this year! While I love wandering the halls looking at all the unique art and fuzzy baby animals, my favorite thing is still the food. Row upon row of food trucks line up and offer their deep-fried goodies and frozen treats. There’s nothing you can’t deep fry and serve on a stick. My new favorite? Deep Fried Cookie Dough.
Last year, they were literally serving deep fried butter. BUTTER.
OK, I love butter as much as the next gal, but I certainly don’t want to eat it battered and deep fried. *shudder* So I guess there are a couple things you really shouldn’t deep fry. 🙂 However, Deep Fried Cookie Dough is something you should try at least once!
I’ve already made Cookie Dough Bars and Cookie Dough Eggs for Easter, so I decided to make the same cookie dough recipe and try to batter and deep-fry it! Guess what? It worked. 🙂 The outside is crispy and sweet and the inside is gooey and delicious, filled with melted chocolate chips.
And don’t worry about whether or not it’s safe to eat! I used an egg-free cookie dough because even with the frying, the inside doesn’t get cooked all the way.
The gooey center with melted chocolate chips is the best part. You can do this with a basic pancake batter, but I found a batter recipe from Ashlee Marie that goes so well with these cookie dough balls!
Deep Fried Cookie Dough
- 1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- oil for frying
For the cookie dough
- Make a batch of egg free cookie dough (click here for the recipe) and place in the freezer to cool quickly. Once it's hardened a bit, cut it into 1" squares and roll them into balls. Place them in the freezer for at least 2 hours (the longer, the better.)
For the batter
- Fill a pan or deep fryer with enough oil to cover the cookie dough balls. Heat the oil to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together until smooth (just use a whisk or spoon)
- Take out a few cookie dough balls from the freezer (just 2-3 at a time so they stay frozen) and dip in the batter. Use a plastic fork with the middle tines removed for easy dipping. Scrape the excess batter off the bottom of the fork and then gently drop into the hot oil.
- Cook for 60-90 seconds, until golden brown. The dough balls will float, so you need to turn them once while cooking to get the golden brown color all the way around. Only cook a few at a time, unless you have a large fryer.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with melted chocolate before serving warm. If you want to go WAY over the top, serve with ice cream!
How’s that for over-the-top goodness? Now that summer is coming around again, I feel the pull to visit the fairs and spend the day looking at interesting displays and trying insane food combinations like Deep Fried Cookie Dough! 🙂
For another tasty fair treat, check out these homemade Lemon Shake Ups!
Updated May 2018: this recipe originally appeared on Princess Pinky Girl