This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Milk chocolate and white chocolate join forces with Oreo cookies in this delicious Cookies and Cream Chex Mix!
Back when I first started this website, I was “blogging” about a new idea or recipe every single day for 365 days. It was a personal challenge, and I started it when blogging was more like storytelling and sharing your personal life along with your content.
Things have certainly changed over the years in the online world! Now it’s all about detailed content that answers questions, informs the reader and includes a “skip to recipe” button for everyone who doesn’t have time or patience for all those WORDS. 😉
Today, I’m updating this Cookies and Cream Chex Mix recipe to add better photos and clean up the formatting a bit. But I couldn’t bring myself to totally delete the glimpse into the past:
Sometimes I feel like I’ve been in the “high 200’s” forever! It’s Day 285 today. Doing something from Pinterest every day has been quite a challenge. It has been tons of fun and I’m glad I took on the project. However, I’ll be glad to hit that 365 mark and be free to post a few times a week instead of every day! 🙂 So today’s super easy snack was a perfect way to end the day. It only took a few minutes to toss together and it’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!
I’ve had many different versions of Chex Mix and Muddy Buddies over the years. But when I saw an idea for Cookies and Cream Chex Mix on Pinterest the other day, I was hooked. Who doesn’t love Oreos? And I love anything with white chocolate!
There are many names for this yummy snack. I grew up calling it “Puppy Chow” but that was more often used with another kind of cereal. Then there are “Muddy Buddies” but to me, that always includes peanut butter (not my favorite, honestly.)
I know “Chex Mix” can bring to mind that savory mix we make during the holidays, but the name Cookies and Cream Chex Mix should be pretty self-explanatory. 😉
This recipe is essentially two different mixes that you then toss together to get the Cookies and Cream final version. So have TWO gallon sized plastic bags handy to contain the mess. It’s much easier this way, trust me.
The only “cooking” involved is melting the chocolate chips (and white chocolate chips) in the microwave. This should only take one or two 30-second turns in the microwave. Heat, then stir vigorously. If necessary, heat again, but don’t overdo it! White chocolate is SO persnickety and it will seize up if you look at it funny.
After you’ve tossed the two mixes (the milk chocolate mix and the white chocolate mix) in their bags, then you can add them to a large bowl and stir together with a few more Oreo pieces. It’s that easy!
For a yummy “fall” version of this snack, try my Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix! It’s a mixture of salty and sweet with delicious fall flavors.
Cookies and Cream Chex Mix
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal (1/2 of the box)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 8 Oreos crushed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal (the other 1/2 of the box)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 8 Oreos crushed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Oreos roughly chopped, optional
- Measure out the cereal and place in a large bowl. (It doesn't need to be perfect-you're going to use the whole box, so just split it in half if you don't want to measure it out.)
- Add the powdered sugar and crushed Oreos to a gallon sized plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate chips and stir until smooth (this only takes two 30 second intervals in the microwave with some stirring).
- Pour melted chocolate over rice cereal in the large bowl and stir gently until coated.
- Transfer chocolate coated rice cereal into your plastic bag with sugar/cookies. Shake, shake shake until coated evenly.
- Repeat steps 1-5 using "Cream" ingredients.
- Once cooled, mix the "Cookies" and "Cream" mixes together in a large bowl and fold in extra chopped Oreos.
- Serve immediately, or store in an air-tight container.
- Crockpot Express Apricot Chicken - May 15, 2023
- Sweet and Spicy Carrots - May 4, 2023
- Biscoff Cake Recipe - May 2, 2023
Leave a Reply