A perfect side dish for any BBQ, pulled pork cornbread cookies are a delicious blend of sweet and savory. They taste great with chili!
There’s a funny story behind this recipe for Pulled Pork Cornbread Cookies. Well, to be honest, it’s more like one of those “had to be there” funny stories, so I’ll spare you all the details. 🙂 Suffice it to say, my husband was laughing and talking with a friend and he said something like, “I don’t want to end up with some weird thing like “pulled pork cookies.” We all laughed and the conversation moved on, but I couldn’t get the idea out of my head. I thought to myself, “cornbread cookies wouldn’t be half bad. And that would go really well with pulled pork, actually. I wonder….”
I started doing some research, and I discovered there are already a few recipes out there for cornbread cookies! However, they’re all exactly the same recipe. I don’t know if Valerie Bertinelli’s recipe came first, or if her cookies were just from the All Recipes website, but every recipe I read was the same.
I didn’t want to go the sweet and spicy route using peppers and Tajin seasoning like that recipe. I needed something that would pair well with the BBQ flavors in my pulled pork. So I played around with a few ingredients and created these Pulled Pork Cornbread Cookies.
Pulled Pork Cornbread Cookies
- 1 8.5oz box of cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1/2 cup cooked pulled pork
- shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir the first 6 ingredients until well mixed. Fold in the creamed corn and pulled pork until it's evenly distributed through the batter.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave at least an inch of space between cookies. If desired, sprinkle cheese on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes on the sheet and serve warm for best flavor.
Pulled pork and pieces of corn may not be what you expect to bite into when you eat a cookie, but trust me, this works! I served them along with our Crockpot Express Pulled Pork the other day and they were great. If you like your cornbread on the sweeter side, try drizzling the tops with honey while they are still warm from the oven. So good!